LTO4 robotic library to LTO5 conversion.

rOOmUSh

n00b
Hello!

We have an IBM TS3100 LTO4 library. We would like it to become LTO5 by changing the Read/write head.
I have spoken to a tech rep from IBM and he told me it is possible and it's only a matter of money..

Has anybody done this before? We want to avoid spending another 8000$ just to have an LTO5 head inside same library box, because i really think it is cheaper to make a conversion to existing library.

Thank you!

Hello!

We have an IBM TS3100 LTO4 library. We would like it to become LTO5 by changing the Read/write head.
I have spoken to a tech rep from IBM and he told me it is possible and it's only a matter of money..

Has anybody done this before? We want to avoid spending another 8000$ just to have an LTO5 head inside same library box, because i really think it is cheaper to make a conversion to existing library.

Thank you!

It is not just changing a head, the entire tape unit(s) inside the library must be replaced with LTO5 versions. IBM may also have safeguards against using other than IBM LTO5 replacement drives in the enclosure. Depending on if you have SAS, FC or SCSI you will be looking at about $6200+ per drive depending on where you buy it and with what type of support you get.

Thank you for your reply.

I understand.

Just contacted IBM, i hope they will give me a price estimation very soon.

Back