LSI 9271 with CacheCade or all SSD on ESXi

KapsZ28

2[H]4U
For one, I have never used CacheCade before, so I am curious on how good or bad it is. I was looking at used LSI 9271 with the CacheCade license.

A little background, I have two servers that are several years old. Both had LSI 9260 controllers. On one of them I swapped it for the LSI 9266 which has more cache. That same server I also put 4x 300GB Intel 320 SSDs in setup in RAID 5. These are older SSDs with quite a bit of wear on them, but performance is still pretty good.

My other server is the one I am looking to upgrade. It still has the LSI 9260 in it. I bought 4 cheap SSDs to see how they would compare. They were Mushkin Enhanced Eco 2's. I set them up in RAID 5 just like the Intel's, but performance was much slower and I ended up returning them. Since they are different servers with different RAID controllers, it isn't an identical comparison and I am partially concerned that the LSI 9260 definitely needs to be upgraded to get good performance out of any SSDs I buy. I could theoretically move the Intel's I have into the other server but it would be a pain in the ass.

The server currently has 8x 500 GB Western Digital RE's. One idea was to get the LSI 9271 for about $400 and two Samsung 850 Pros 256GB and setup CacheCade. That is about $650 total and leaves me with 3TB of storage.

I was thinking I could instead get 4x 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo's which is decent capacity for about $600, but still unknown about my current LSI 9260. If performance is still slow, I would be forced to get a new RAID controller anyway.

So what do you think. Is CachCade worth it and do you think that 9260 is a POS?

Well, just to update myself since there hasn't been any responses. ;) The LSI 9271 with CacheCade that I was watching on eBay ended up selling. I decided to take the 4 Intel SSDs and put them in the other server. I am glad I did as the Intel SSDs perform just as well in this server as they did in my other server. So I don't think a RAID card upgrade will be necessary. I just need to decide which SSDs will give me the best performance/capacity for the money. Ideally I want at least 1.5 TB, but would prefer 2+TB if it doesn't cost more than $700. It must have redundancy such as RAID 5. Any suggestions?

Back