LR4 is now out

yeah I bought it early this morning... $79 dollars for the upgrade is a no brainer for me... the cost is awesome... if feels like I stole the software...

It's a great upgrade indeed. I wonder if Adobe will continue this aggressive pricing when CS6 rolls out. I wouldn't mind paying $500 for PS Extended ($200 for upgrade). One can hope. :D

I really hope so I want it and I am a student, but $899 is a lot to drop on software.

^If you're a student, then why not just get the EDU version for fraction of the price? I paid $300 for CS4 Master Suite when I was in school.

^If you're a student, then why not just get the EDU version for fraction of the price? I paid $300 for CS4 Master Suite when I was in school.

The CS5.5 Master Suite costs $899 for the Edu version, $300 I can deal with that, but $899 that's a different story.

Thanks for the heads up northrop! I picked up the upgrade license last night - hard to pass up for just $80.

At first I couldn't tell the difference between the v4 and the old v2 I used to have - had to get online and watch some videos to see what was new in v4. :p Once I found out you have to switch your old files to use the new version, the difference is astounding!

The new clarity slider is pure magic! And many of the other controls seem to be much more fine-tuned as well. Can't believe how easy it is to make photos look amazing with this software. Now I just need to get out and shoot more photos so I can play with it more! :D

Did I miss something? :confused: What, where, how?

In the Develop module at the very bottom under Camera Calibration, make sure you have the Process option set to 2012 not 2010. This will switch you over to the new set of controls. The exposure controls at the top are simplified and refined a good bit, and you'll notice a drastic improvement in the quality of the Clarity control.

Also, when you bring up an image from your old catalog, you may see a little [!] exclaimation icon in the lower-right corner of the image stage. If you click on that icon it will bring up a dialog box to "upgrade" your image to the new algorithm set controls.

BTW, here's the video that taught me everything I know about LR4 so far. :)

^ahh.. that. Thanks. I did all that when importing the catalog from LR2. I must say, they did a good job keeping the overall look the same, because I didn't notice the name changes until you pointed it out :D

Well... this $80 upgrade is a reason enough to pick up D800 now :D

Is it just me, or are Adobe pouring all their non-assholeness into Lightroom?

Look at their other products... Inflated prices, weird upgrade deals, horrendous pricing for non-US customers, platform lock-in, etc etc etc. But with Lightroom, one license for both Mac and Windows. Install on any number of machines at the same time, no hassle. It doesn't even seem to do any online activation or anything. And the prices are about the same in all the countries I checked. I like it. :)

Is it just me, or are Adobe pouring all their non-assholeness into Lightroom?

Look at their other products... Inflated prices, weird upgrade deals, horrendous pricing for non-US customers, platform lock-in, etc etc etc. But with Lightroom, one license for both Mac and Windows. Install on any number of machines at the same time, no hassle. It doesn't even seem to do any online activation or anything. And the prices are about the same in all the countries I checked. I like it. :)

They're just trying to kick Apple in the nuts after Apple showed how competitive it could be with its extremely inexpensive Aperture pricing. That's my theory anyway.

My major question is, is there a point to using Lightroom if you use Photoshop? I'm very curious about people's workflows because I see Aperture being very different in how adjustments work (as in, they net a very different result) compared to PS. However from my limited use of Lightroom, it seems to do the exact same things Photoshop does, albeit with a more photo centric interface.

Are there any drawbacks/limitations to purchasing the student teacher edition of LR4?
It's all the same. And you can later upgrade from Student to Full if you like (it's what I did this time around; upgraded from LR2 Student to LR4 Full).

Theoretically, student editions are not to be used for commercial work.

My major question is, is there a point to using Lightroom if you use Photoshop? I'm very curious about people's workflows because I see Aperture being very different in how adjustments work (as in, they net a very different result) compared to PS. However from my limited use of Lightroom, it seems to do the exact same things Photoshop does, albeit with a more photo centric interface.

If you're skilled with PS, then LR isn't a necessity, I guess. However, LR is more than just a photo editor, it's also a very powerful library for all your work. I prefer using LR over Bridge any day, and to me this is one of the major advantages of LR over PS. It's also easier and faster to work with LR, because everything is right there where you need it. The only advantage I give PS is the ability to select any selection you like. With LR it's a bit more tricky to do local adjustments with the brush. So while before I did almost everything in PS, now PS is at the very end of my workflow.

Last edited:
Is it any faster? I got an early version of LR very cheap and I really like its organizer, but its really slow, even when I generate fullsize thumbnails.

Nice, I use Lightroom mainly for editing. Though recently I've started to use Camera RAW more and Lightroom as a library.

Theoretically, student editions are not to be used for commercial work.

Just wanted to point out that Student editions are fully licensed for personal and commercial use. For a while commercial use was only allowed in Northern America but it seems that restriction was removed.

http://www.adobe.com/ap/special/education/students/studentteacheredition/faq.html

relevant section quoted below:
Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?
Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use.

I think I'll pick up the student edition of LR4, it's not a bad price at all.

Back