LPT port for printers on modern boards

oymd

Weaksauce
I have an HP 1100 laser printer that served me well on my 875P board that just died. It had a LPT port.

I intend on buying these days a P35 board...namely the Asus P5K...and it doesnt have a LPT port...what can I do?

Is there a work around for this problem...a converter to USB or something?

Thanks

There are several usb-serial/parallel adapters on the market, though I can't speak for how well they actually work. You could also grab a print server and make it a network printer if you so desired...

I have the same printer, and my DS3R has a parallel port, which is actually the reason I have the DS3R as opposed to any other P35 board. ;)

Though, I've now gotten my hands on a JetDirect, so I'll be using that once I figure out how to set it up, lol.

There are also routers with built-in print servers, however, the parallel port versions are getting scarce.

You've got a few options to justify getting additional gear. :)

If you don't want additional gear, just get the Gigabyte board instead of the Asus. Mine can OC like crazy once I strap a fan to its NB heatsink. ;)

There are PCI LPT cards out there. I know because the shop I worked at used to sell them. Not sure about compatibility though.

I've been using a USB-to-parallel-printer cable for a couple years now with an old HP LaserJet 6L. A cable like what sells for $9 on Newegg. Works great. Even better, I have an extra-long USB cable that goes over to the shelf where my printers are, connected to a small USB hub, and the two printers (laser and inkjet) are connected to the hub. I haven't had a PC with a parallel port since, what, '01? Not since Abit's AT7-MAX, anyway, whenever that was.

There's also a PCI parallel-port card laying around somewhere in my big box o' computer crap. I wanted to connect a Commodore 1541 disk drive to copy my old stuff and needed a physical parallel port. The port worked fine, but I couldn't get the software side of it working...

I have the same printer, and my DS3R has a parallel port, which is actually the reason I have the DS3R as opposed to any other P35 board. ;)

Though, I've now gotten my hands on a JetDirect, so I'll be using that once I figure out how to set it up, lol.

Are you sure you are talking about the DS3R and not the DS3L? The DS3R does NOT have a LPT port?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128086

And whats a Jetdirect btw...:D

There are several usb-serial/parallel adapters on the market, though I can't speak for how well they actually work. You could also grab a print server and make it a network printer if you so desired...

what's a print server? and how can I do that?:rolleyes:

Thanks...:D

Yes, I'm sure I have a DS3R. :rolleyes: Its revision 1.0, so it actually has the port on the rear I/O panel. Newer revisions and higher model Gigabyte boards only have the internal header ports for parallel and serial, so you'll need something like this:

http://www.directron.com/cbl-combo.html

Gigabyte boards are the only current P35 boards that I know of that still provide these legacy ports on-board, either through rear I/O panel or internal headers.

A print server is like a file server... a file server serves files, a print server serves a printer. A print server removes the need to connect a printer directly to a computer -- it converts it into a network printer.

A JetDirect is HP's own print server. They have internal cards and external models, too. I found an external one lyin around. ;)

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...-236253-34214-64302-27317-444426-1838257.html

Its hard to find these days, but D-Link made a print server that supported both parallel and USB, but it costs around $60-$80. Careful with the wireless parallel print servers -- they're typically centronics, which wont work on the HP 1100 (mini centronics) -- this is also why many USB->Parallel adapters wont work with that printer.

These will work:
$63 - D-Link DP-300U Multi-Port Print Server
$64 - HAWKING HPS12U 2 USB + 1 Parallel Internet Print Server
$98 - HAWKING HWPS12UG Wireless G Print Server

The mini print servers most likely won't work, because they're Centronics instead of Mini-Centronics or LPT.

I've been using a USB-to-parallel-printer cable for a couple years now with an old HP LaserJet 6L. A cable like what sells for $9 on Newegg. Works great.

That won't work with the HP 1100 because the other end of that USB adapter is Centronics. The HP 1100 uses mini centronics. :(

Since I have that same HP LJ1100 printer and an old APC Smart-UPS 1400VA (which uses a serial connection to the PC), I've always had a mobo with both legacy ports, Serial and Parallel. They've become rather scarce, but still available nonetheless.

Back