• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Lowest Latency 2GB Kit

neubspeed

Gawd
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
518
I've finally come to the realization I need 2gb to run Battlefield 2 at max settings, and now I'm ready to buy some memory. What is the highest performing 2gb dual channel kit on the market? OCZ and Mushkin seem to have memory that does 2-3-2 at normal voltage, while Corsair seems to have some that do 2-3-3. So there's my question, an answer would be appreciated. (For now exclude the Ballistix Tracer because I can't afford $400 per stick in Canada). Thanks!
 
After reading around, I decided on the ocz platinum 2 1 gig sticks, great timings. Will get them on Teusday, so I can tell you how they perform.
 
Crucial Ballistix 1 gig sticks can do 2-2-2 easily. Mine do it up to 215MHz, and 270 at 3-3-3. There are currently no 1 gig sticks that can match Crucial Ballistix in performance. Literally, none.
 
my 1gb crucial value, which is made from the same stuff as ballistix, but a lower bin, does 2.5-2-2 at stock speeds and voltage
 
Technically, why couldnt you get a 1GB or Even Larger stick of ram to do 300Mhz DDR Cas 1-1-1-1T?

What is the limiting factor? Size of the Chips? heat? Both?

Or can it be done... it would just be way to expensive to manufacture?
 
USMC2Hard4U said:
Technically, why couldnt you get a 1GB or Even Larger stick of ram to do 300Mhz DDR Cas 1-1-1-1T?

What is the limiting factor? Size of the Chips? heat? Both?

Or can it be done... it would just be way to expensive to manufacture?

You'd be asking a lot from the transistors to do that. If it could be done feasibly, it would. Imagine Corsair putting THREE rows of LED's on their ram and boasting how they have the latest Samsung TCCExtreme capable of DDR1066 at Cas 0-0-0!

RAM, though its one of the "simplest" designed semi-conductors (compared to, say, a Pentium 4 or something of that extreme magnitude of complexity), is far too complex and difficult to engineer right to get such results. I think things like BH-5 were really accidents, haha.

Basically the transistors have to switch fast enough in order to do that, and the more dense they are, the harder it seems for them to scale in speed unless they're built well. Micron -5B D is an example of well engineered high density ram. DDR2 seems to do better than DDR1 in higher densities. What I mean by this is that there doesn't seem to be as much of a sacrifice in speed/latency when DDR2 is dense.
 
robberbaron said:
DDR2 seems to do better than DDR1 in higher densities
i think the changes to the spec for ddr2 helps that out, they did a lot of tweaking to allow mhz to scale up
 
From what I can afford, and what I've read on the forum, I'm either going to go with the OCZ Dual Channel Platinum Kit (2x1GB PC3200 2-3-2-5) or the Mushkin High Perfomance Blue (2x1GB PC3200 2-3-2). I can save about $40 getting the Mushkin. What should I do?

Also this will be put in my brand new A8N-SLI Premium, so are there any incompatibility issues? I want to run at 1T. Thanks for the help!
 
Oh I want the Crucial sticks really badly but I just can't afford the extra $120 CDN it is over the OCZ and the $160 CDN it is over the Mushkin. Didn't mean to look like a f a n b o y there, sorry.
 
neubspeed said:
Oh I want the Crucial sticks really badly but I just can't afford the extra $120 CDN it is over the OCZ and the $160 CDN it is over the Mushkin. Didn't mean to look like a f a n b o y there, sorry.

No, you didn't look like one at all. I'm just saying Crucial Value should be just as good.
 
Except for the crucial, the OCZ, Mushkin, and Patriot are probably the same ram chips. IMO, same ram chips, same overclocking potential as long as they have not been speed binned. An example of speed binning would be OCZ and their VX line of memories. They have their premium line which is tested and gauranteed to overclock to a certain level. The Value VX memory may or may not have been tested and are not gauranteed a certain overclock level, but they will exhibit some of the same characteristics as the premium line it is based upon.

My patriot xblk are basically samsung tccd ram and comparing it to other brand samsung tccd memory it overclocked right at the average of the other brands of memory but with the same chips on it.
 
heliotrope said:
Has anyone had any overclocking experience with these sticks? For only $110 they aren't too bad - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220045

Seems with their stock low timings, I would think it possible loosing would be able to give nice MHz increase. Anybody tried though?
i would search, but i remember the results weren't good.. somewhere around 220-230mhz
 
Back
Top