Lowest cost Cisco IOS router?

shroomiin

Gawd
Hey guys-

Was wondering if any of you know the most cost effective cisco router outhere which supports IOS? Does not need to have CCNP features but that would be a plus.

I want this both for use in my home network as well as to play around with the IOS.

any suggestions?

If you plan on doing CCNP or voice I'd get a 2801. 1841 would work as well for CCNP. Even a cheapo 2500 series will work for just CCNA.

hmm.

maybe i can convince my boss to let me order through work from our network hardware reseller/vendor....

then i could afford a nice one :)

A 1710 or 1721 from eBay will get your feet wet for a cheap price.

If you're studying for Cisco certs, make sure what ever you get can run IOS 12.4 & SDM

1841's are under $200 on craigslist.

2651xm is another one that can be had cheap.

2600xm series is a pretty good bet. Non-XM don't officially support 12.4 versions, although I've seen 12.4(8) adv security on a standard 2611 with max RAM/flash. 3600 series are also really cheap to pick up for a lab environment.

Something like a 2801 as stated would be a little more versatile if you wanted a multipurpose unit (voice, etc), though.

I don't need many special features. Just everything required for the certs. I played with cisco gear all throughout college/cisco academy... I know my way around IOS but I don't have any of the certs.

My crappy home router is about shot and I figure why not replace it with somthing I can also use to prepare for those Cisco exams.

I do use packet tracer...

That's boring, I want to work with the stuff and have quality gear in my house

If you also want to use it as a home router, then the older 2600, 1700 and 3600 series may not cut it. I assume you have a broadband connection of decent bandwidth?

Look for something like an 1811 at a minimum.

I'm also curious as to the cheapest way to get both IOS 12.4 and at least 1-2 1Gb interfaces on the LAN side (WAN would not hurt either but that's probably asking a lot on a low budget). Perhaps via some add-in card on an older model rather using having to spend the money on a 1921?

No 'older' model can support those speeds, and I think all add-in modules for any older router are either Ethernet or FastE.

Back