Lowest AMD card for HTPC

Forceman

[H]F Junkie
What's the lowest/cheapest AMD card (preferably passive) that would serve decent duty in a HTPC running XBMC? Right now I have a 7750 I cannibalized from my wife's machine, but it is serious overkill for what I am running.

if you want to do 3D, then a 6450 would be good, if no 3D then the 5450 is also a good choice. No gaming right?

if you want to do 3D, then a 6450 would be good, if no 3D then the 5450 is also a good choice. No gaming right?

No, just 1080p video. Thinking the 6450 might be the spot - I can get one on Amazon for about $30 (that $15 5450 doesn't appear on Amazon). Have to use Amazon because Newegg has such ridiculous shipping to Hawaii.

Looks like Amazon has a SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5450 for $15 after rebate (exp 7/31) as well as free Super Saver Shipping... better get it quick before they raised the price back up again.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What are the specs out of curiosity?

Does the motherboard or CPU not have integrated graphics? I remember the lowly onboard ATI HD3200 I had on one of my old HTPC's did 1080p video flawlessly, both Blu-ray, MKV rips, and Flash video. All while dramatically reducing heat and power requirements.

Just a thought! You gotta remember, onboard solutions are A LOT better than they used to be!

I'm using an old Pentium D on a G41 motherboard. It does have onboard, but no DVI or HDMI. I was debating just getting a new motherboard and CPU (probably something like an A6, just to keep my options open) but I figure a cheap video card would be just as well. I have an 8800GT I can use, but it won't boot with a DVI-HDMI cable installed for some reason.

Dumb question I'm sure, but have you tried both DVI ports? Does it boot if using just DVI? As far as I know the adapters are just that...adapters, no active chips or anything, should be just a straight wire adjustment.

I'd also say to see about selling your current gear and get some cheap all-in-one board. Most cheap usits have HDMI and can handle HD video perfectly fine all while producing a LOT less heat and using less power.

Yeah, I've tried both ports, and I also tried using an 8600GT I have lying around. DVI works to a monitor, so I think it may be TV related instead of video card/DVI related. The 7750 works just fine, which is why I was thinking of getting a cheaper AMD card. I would go the all-in-one route, but I'm not sure I want to put $100+ into it when I have a working CPU/motherboard/RAM combo (even if I could sell all that for $60 or so).

6450 has the latest video engine i believe, and 160 shaders to boot, probably the best option.

HD3200 can't do HD quality audio, if that matters.

He was talking about an on-board HD3200. I'm pretty sure if its onboard video, it wouldn't be doing the audio, and it would be pure on-board sound, which could/should have HD quality... Should work fine.

running a passively cooled 5450 in my htpc. works great.

He was talking about an on-board HD3200. I'm pretty sure if its onboard video, it wouldn't be doing the audio, and it would be pure on-board sound, which could/should have HD quality... Should work fine.

On-Board HD3200 can handle audio, just not TrueHD or MTS-HD. Most/all onboard soundcards don't do HD audio worth a shit if it's going to a newer reciever when compared to recieving an HD Audio signal, big difference.

I've built a few HTPC's with HD3200's

Back