• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Lowering temps before OCing

CNibbana

n00b
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
6
I recently assembled a monster rig (specs in sig) and am getting ready to OC it. I have the case on a computer shelf in an oak desk (oak enclosure with a front door). It runs ridiculously hot as is: 41c CPU idle, 48c case idle which doesn't sound too hot but I think a lot of the heat is coming off the SLI setup.

I'm going to cut three 120mm holes in the back of the desk and install three fans to exhaust the hot air. Ultimately, I would like to keep the rig in the desk if possible because it fits so well and is made for it.

Anyone done anything similar? What kind of temp drops did you see? What's the best way to control heat in a confined space?

I'm suprised by the heat output. I thought the lower wattage CPU (compared to my old 3.06ghz P4 533mhz) would run cooler. Could it be the SLI?
 
I recently assembled a monster rig (specs in sig) and am getting ready to OC it. I have the case on a computer shelf in an oak desk (oak enclosure with a front door). It runs ridiculously hot as is: 41c CPU idle, 48c case idle which doesn't sound too hot but I think a lot of the heat is coming off the SLI setup.

I'm going to cut three 120mm holes in the back of the desk and install three fans to exhaust the hot air. Ultimately, I would like to keep the rig in the desk if possible because it fits so well and is made for it.

Anyone done anything similar? What kind of temp drops did you see? What's the best way to control heat in a confined space?

I'm suprised by the heat output. I thought the lower wattage CPU (compared to my old 3.06ghz P4 533mhz) would run cooler. Could it be the SLI?

Yup, been there done that and I even have the T-shirt somewhere.

First problem is the CPU makes a ton of heat, low watts or not. Your second problem is the 680i North Bridge makes almost as much heat. We already know Video cards get hot on their best days and you have two, so add some more heat.

You didn’t mention what case you are using but these days I use the Antec 180 because it is one of the few cases I’ve seen where someone actually directly addressed airflow inside the case.

All that aside, I would never try what you are doing, however my wife (Total neat freak) insists her computer not be seen. Sine all the computers in this house run 24/7 doing Folding At Home and the CPUs are running 100% all the time cooling is somewhat of an issue, a real serious issue in my wife’s case.

The answer was more simple then I had imagined although not particularly cheap (but considering the price of the hardware…..) you might as well do it right.

First thing, I water cooled the computer. A Koolance Exos-2, the new smaller CPU water block, the new North Bridge block and since I was already there the low profile South Bridge block.

As for the desk, I added three 120mm fans in the bottom of the computer cubby hole blowing in and two standard 110 volt 8” desk fans with stands removed were cut into the back of the desk.

In the end, problem solved, max temp folding and doing work runs about 52c max, the north bridge dropped enough temp to allow me to increase my over clock a bit and, most important, I have a happy wife.

Before the typical Koolance flamers start, I use the Koolance because my first one is now three years old and has required NO as in ZERO maintenance. Every think in the loop is as shiny as new, no build up on (the inside) of the tubing so it’s still crystal clear and above all, it’s all very quiet.

Might not what you want to hear, but it works and works well. Just don’t ignore the airflow inside your case; with what you have a few 80mm fans just don’t cut it anymore.

Luck, any questions feel free to ask:)




 
The case I am using is a Lian Li PC-7B with Scythe 120mm 63.7cfm fans for intake and exhaust. I'll be using three more of these fans for the desk exhaust.

I didn't realize the north bridge put off so much heat. I had the feeling that water cooling was going to be the solution, but was hoping for a different answer. I've always been afraid of water near my computer.

A couple of years ago a guy ran some tubing out the back of his desk a couple of feet to a 5 gallon drum of water and used a fish tank pump to circulate. Whenever he wanted to game, he's just throw a tray of ice cubes into the drum of water. Anyone done anything similar? Good/bad?
 
It might not be completely necessary that you watercool, but you do have basically the hottest running parts you could all tucked away where they can't breathe much.

If you want to stay away from water cooling, you better get out the dremel and buy some high CFM 120mm fans. One intake and one exhaust isn't enough I think.

Also, are you using the stock heatsink? I don't think I saw a mention of it. You should get something better than that if you are for your poor CPU. Might help with airflow in your case also.

Or... you could just watercool everything ;)
But if you do that, I don't think you're going to want to have all that nice stuff tucked away under your desk, hehe.
 
The first problem with dumping ice cubes into a drum to cool the water for water cooling is you NEED to make sure you are using distilled water to make the ice cubes. (You didnt mentions if this took place or not). Regular tap water would cause havoc over time (2-3 months) with the water cooling components.


Cutting out holes in the furniture is as final as it gets so I would probably save that as a last resort.
I have a similar problem with my computer desk and removing the PC and placing it on the floor under the desk dropped my temps pretty dramatically.
The PC needs a LOT of fresh air to cool those hot components down.
If neatness counts go with water cooling. If neatness isn't the utmost issue then move your PC out of the cabinet and you'll see a drop in temps.
 
You mentioned 3 x 120mm all exhausting. Passive intake only? I'd have at least one Intake into your confined space, probably 2 and one exhaust.

Consider thermal dynamics and ambient temps. You want cool air flowing in, over the hot bits, and then the hot air flowing out.

You could duct direct from the outside of the desk to the Case Intake. Try googling sunbeamtech overclockers kit or similar to see what I mean.

Hope that helps
 
Back
Top