Lower powered server-

iamwhoiamtoday

Limp Gawd
I currently have two hypervisors, both running socket 1366 motherboards with quad core xeons.
They are setup in a pool in XenServer.
They use a lot of power.

Is there an option for me to put together (or ebay) a lower powered system using the same series of xeon? the E/L5520's have served me well, but is there a dual core single socket option that'd use less power?

Basically, I want to add this lower powered system to my pool, migrate the essential VMs (domain controller and the like) to it, and power off the two power hogs.
I'd then only turn on the power hogs when I'm doing larger scale projects.

Does this sound crazy? I could get by just fine on a dual core and 16GB of memory for this lower power system, but it'd have to be of the same processor architecture as my current hypervisors.

note: wasn't really sure what section to post this in.

Just a thought but assuming your workload is not too large you might be able to get away with an amd Am1 5350 or a j2900/3750 atom type of board. I actually got away with a temp ad controller for a while on an e350 but maybe had 25 users.

Good thing about these guys is that they sip power <25w for sure. As long as you are not trying to run a massive dB they may work out for you?

Back