lower latency, async vs. high latency, sync

nauht

n00b
2FA
Joined
Jun 14, 2005
Messages
15
For an Athlon 64 system, which is more preferable: Ram with lower latency running in async or high latency running in sync?
 
I see. The reason I asked is cuz I was debating whether I should get high FSB ram to run at 250mhz+ in 1:1 or stick with my OCZ Gold VX which right now is at 216mhz @ 2-3-3-8, 1T. I'm running the FSB at 260mhz with the 5:6 divider. I'm able to o/c my Venice to 2600mhz.
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
depends. there is NO hit from running async itself, just from the memory speed, which is negligable. your goal should be to get overall latency as low as you can, which is a function of timings and ram mhz. i use everest to find out the latency:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en
actually i noticed that mem freq and especially timings have almost no effect on memory latency in that test, CPU frequency does have a huge impact however. at least that's true in my P4 865PE system.
 
yeah, cpu mhz has a huge impact on latency for a64's too, even when you hold ram speed constant with a divider
 
Back
Top