lower end ssd market worrying

chrcoluk

[H]ard|Gawd
I just brought a few more 64gig kingston ssdnow v300 ssd's. An older model no longer been manufactured.

The market that covers ssd's 60gig and smaller is now dominated by chinese players, but there used to be some very high quality ssd's in this sector.

When I built my PFSENSE unit, I put in a 64gig mini sata sms200 kingston ssd (KINGSTON SMS200S360G), this has write endurance warranty equal to my 850 PRO a ssd that costed 20x as much. It came with DRAM and MLC nand. Decent random read/write performance, and only costed me £25.

Since then time has moved on, kingston have ditched 64gig and lower capacities meaning they have exited the market in that price range.

On their website is models such as the UV400 listed. That is a TLC ssd with much lower (rated warranty) endurance, and much lower random performance. Lowest capacity 120gig. The price per gig is no more favourable than the superior previous models, but the entry price is higher due to the higher starting capacity. So is a downgrade of components at same cost to consumer.

What are kingston competing against?

Sandisk, DRAMless ssd's, no DRAM at all in the SSD's, they are either MLC or TLC is a lottery, sandisk provide only sequential speeds on their official specs, no other type of spec is listed including endurance and random performance.

Various chinese branded SSD's also exist in this market, with high level of reports of either DOA or dead within 3 months of use. The majority of these SSDs have no dram, although they do often list MLC not TLC as the nand used. But could be reject nand pushed aside by the bigger companies.

The V200 was a very good SSD for its price, the V300 is not as good but still obtainable on ebay new for original RRP prices, the replacement to the V300 is horrific spec wise and ideally avoided. I would rather buy a used v200 or v300 over a brand new current kingston model, or sandisk, or chinese ssd.

So if anyone is wanting ssd's for small projects like pfsense, test install's, portable install's etc. where low capacity is fine, then I would stock up on older generation drives whilst you can as this part of the market has deteriorated quite badly. :(

The last 64GB mSATA I picked up was either a Crucial or Micron on clearance at Micro Center for $20. Dropped it into a T430 and use it as a cache drive.

I have the 128GB version of the V300 (before the NAND switch) and use it as a Windows Media Center box.

Sure the drives are allegedly higher capacity and cheaper, it comes at the expense of endurance.

I use 128GB for test installs. Micro Center had the Inland Professional 120GB for $30 until today. If it is 3D V-NAND like the 240GB model, I would suspect Samsung reject.

Aye, I've had better luck even with older and USED Toshiba and SanDisk drives than the offbrand drives. What a shitshow the small drive segment is.

Or you look past cheap MLC/TLC/QLC/fairy dust. To anyone that has been paying attention optane is the next step above SLC drives for embedded systems.

The 16GB are $33, 32GB $55 at microcenter: more than enough space for things like pfsense etc. Intel so you know its not scrapped from the bottom of a chinese barrel of flash, 5 year warranty.

Definitely not slow (not that it matters much in these use cases) and endurance out the wazoo: if your embedded system is doing >182TB writes to a 16GB drive (6 DWPD inside warranty) either you have a fucking problem or should be running a ramdisk.

No dram buffer, trim, etc issues to even think about, I think (not 100% sure) they are covered on the power loss front too by design. Optane's r/w method is closer to dram (byte-addressable) than flash (logical blocks) anyways.

Back