Lower CPU temp after switch to Corsair PSU?

limxdul

Limp Gawd
So I switched from the pos Antec Earthwatts 500D (one by Delta cheaper quality, not the A+++++ rating from the one made by Seasonic) to a Corsair HX520W and suddenly my Q6600 is idle 4-5 C less than before, at 32C from 36/37C.

From
with260.JPG

To
g1.jpg

g2.jpg

Besides less cables, everything else stayed the same with a general lack of cable management and same placement of the rig behind the desk, same fan speeds, etc.

Would that really warrant that much of a drop?

Winter approaching?
The fact that the fan is much closer to your heatsink now? Probably doesn't explain 5'C though.

3+ possibilities.
Its drawing more hot air away from your CPU now and / or your old PSU generates a lot of electrical noise.
Or your old PSU injected a lot of its own heat into your PC case.

Less cables/obstructions can aid airflow too so that might help a bit.

3+ possibilities.
Its drawing more hot air away from your CPU now and / or your old PSU generates a lot of electrical noise.
Or your old PSU injected a lot of its own heat into your PC case.

Less cables/obstructions can aid airflow too so that might help a bit.
Totally agree with this one.... Since the PSU fan right across the heatsink, it draws away more heat..

People who own HX series can testify that the PSU does not shift much air at all so that is a very big drop, but I would also agree its entirely down to the bottom PSU fan sucking out extra heat directly from the CPU area (don't forget the motherboard VRMs there too)

Back