• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Low Volume Printers for Home Use

G_K

n00b
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
58
Hi folks,

It looks like I have left my Cannon Bubblejet i450 and i470 sitting idle too long needing new print heads and since replacing them cost more than I paid for the printers themselves I thought I would see if there are any decent options for a low volume printer floating around these days.

Typically I print on an erratic basis some months I do a 100 pages at most and some I do none. Generally I e-mail PDFs instead of sending actual print documents but for those occasional moments I do like having a printer around. So since Inkjets tend to try and ruin their print heads quite easily has the quality of the low end LED Laser's gotten to where it's acceptable? I know I looked at an early Samsung or Brother unit at Staples when they first came out and the sample pages were just ridiculously fussy for text that looked worse than the old 8bit pin printers we all used to use with the track feed.

I am trying for a nice low volume laser printer I can leave sitting for two months turned off and then just put it on and go for a few dozen pages then back off again. Something probably priced under $200 and definitely not a multi-function scanner/copier.

Anyone have a suggestion for this sort of scenario?

Thanks.
 
Do you need to print in color? What level of quality would you accept in printing text or pictures?

In your situation, I would recommend a monochrome laser printer. The current generation has improved to the point where they're good for everyday use. But again, I don't know what level of print quality you're used to.
 
A laser would be best since most inkjets dry out if not used for long periods of time. HP's entry level laserjets have worked well for me over the years, and are typically $100. You can also usually find Samsung or Brother monochrome lasers on sale online or at Fry's for around $80.

The current HP model is: LaserJet Pro P1102w (~$110 at amazon)

If you don't mind used, you can usually find the HP's on CL for around $30.
 
Not sure how long ago you looked at those lasers, but all the HP's I've owned or used since the laser jet 5 have had extremely sharp and deep black text.
I currently have a large 13 year old HP Color Laserjet 4500N and a tiny 3 year old HP Laserjet P1006.
Text is sharp and defined on both.
 
I have a Brother MFC-7440N, which is overkill for your situation, but I second the notion of getting a monochrome laser printer.

Monochrome lasers can be had for around or under $100. Toner is downright cheap compared to ink cartridges.

Brother in particular seems to be a good brand. The starter toner cartridge printed over 1000 pages. A high-yield cartridge, rated for 2600 pp., cost all of $50.

Go laser, you'll never regret it.
 
My Brother HL-2170W has been very good to me. Toner is cheap and it does wired, wireless and USB connections. Quick to warm up and print so you don't have to wait too long.

Found one brand new at a Microcenter a few years ago on sale for around $100.
 
I am not going to bother with color and will try out the current generation LED Lasers I think they should be good enough. If I need something higher quality I can use the workgroup printer at work.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.
 
Back
Top