Low Voltage Woes

_cashel

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm not too sure whether this could be the mobo, video card, or PSU (antec True430), so I'd like to run this by get some opinions about which it may be.

In the last 2 or 3 days, I've been getting very strange video corruption where the screen would randomly go berserk with different bars of different colored pixels and the only way to get rid of it would be to force restart. This has happened several times in the past, but it's dissapeared and never really been an ongoing problem.

This issue came up again after I had installed Warcraft 3 and tried maxing out the video settings. I went ahead and tried several other games (Farcry, NFSU2 demo, BF1942), and it's even doing it in windows and when the computer is loading up. I don't think video drivers are an issue here because this has happened at different times w/ different driver versions, and it's happened through the course of several reformats.

I decided to go ahead and check the voltages and installed my old DigiDoc fan/temp monitor that also so happens to monitor the volt rails. The +12V rail seems to be running pretty solid right around 11.98-12.05, but the +5V rail is a whole other story. The average voltage is about 4.6, and in the past hour or so, it's been jumping from 4.7 to 4.5 to high 4.4's and back. I now can't even boot into Windows without it loading to a black screen and just sitting there, not going any further.

I went ahead and took everything off the PSU except the DigiDoc and tried running the PSU w/ the paperclip trick. WIth that, the +5V rail was running at a normal 5.05. I've tried running different devices on different molex connectors and switching around what things are on what cables all with no luck. Messing around with the voltages in BIOS don't seem to be helping either. The computer is NOT overclocked right now, it hasn't been for a few months.

Like I said, I'm not too sure which of the three devices this could be, but I have a hunch it's the power supply. I just can't figure out why.

Here's a picture of exactly what I'm talking about:
corruption.jpg

Back