Low resource/good Firewall /AV

m|ke

n00b
Looking for a good Anti-Virus and Firewall which are low resource.
I have being using NIS but norton stuff seems to slow the pc down and use alot of memory etc.
Some people have said NOD32 is a very good AV and low resource. Im looking for a firewall which will block everything until I tell it to let the app access the net (like NIS) and low resource unlike NIS.
Any help appreciated.

I second NOD32, it's a great program in my experience. I also like Kaspersky antivirus. As far as firewalls go, I really love kerio and it keeps an eye on some system stuff as well. It will notify if an application has changed, if a dll is being run as an app, and a few other things. It has both freeware and pay versions.

The absdolute best for low recourses is AntiVir and Kerio v215. Both are free and from what I have seen use the least amount of recourses and are great products.

Antivir is a great free option, but it does not have the detection rate of NOD32 or Kaspersky. I feel comfortable paying the $40 or so for NOD32 instead, but Antivir is the most viable free option in my mind as well.

I am in the testing mode myself, with Kaspersky and outpost

kaspersky is running with 1200k Ram right at this moment while updates to defs and realtime scan enabled. + so far happy with it.
outpost seem not for beginners - in rules mode it alerts you to EVERYTHING that is wanting network access, so you will spend a lot of time on google just trying to make your decisions.

The Bryophyte said:
Antivir is a great free option, but it does not have the detection rate of NOD32 or Kaspersky. I feel comfortable paying the $40 or so for NOD32 instead, but Antivir is the most viable free option in my mind as well.

AntiVir and NOD32 are very close in detection rate.

If you decide to use Kerio 2.1.5, and it is good, use it in conjunction with AnalogX's rules. Make sure AnalogX IPsec rules are implmented. There is a fragment packet issue in that version of Kerio that AnalogX can fix.

By the way, NOD32 is great.

mosin said:
If you decide to use Kerio 2.1.5, and it is good, use it in conjunction with AnalogX. Make sure AnalogX IPsec rules are implmented. There is a fragment packet issue in that version of Kerio that AnalogX can fix.

By the way, NOD32 is great.

Do you have a link?

I put in Kerio 2.1.5, seems to work very well. thanks for the help, I might try out nod32 also :)

anjan1971 said:
You can use ZONE ALRAM SECURITY SUITE its Great Firwall and ANTI VIRUS

Thanks

Anjaan

That was a spam if I've ever seen one. Only one post, and he pimps "ZONE ALRAM"? Any amount of flaming is going to fall on deaf ears. Delete post, carry on. </OT>

At any rate, AVGFree and Sygate make a good free combo, and don't take up a huge memory footprint.

m|ke said:
I put in Kerio 2.1.5, seems to work very well. thanks for the help, I might try out nod32 also :)
Did you modify the IPsec rules?

is there any way to remove the Kerio 2.1 startup splash screen? its abit annoying

and why would it be illegal to remove a splash screen from a free program?

m|ke said:
and why would it be illegal to remove a splash screen from a free program?
Yes. If you went into the registry and made it so that the splash screen would not load, it would be in violation of the "I agree" that you checked when you installed it.

Kaspersky for your anti-virus needs, and for the best firewall protection with the least resource usage, get a nice router. It's a nice opportunity to join the wireless craze, too.

Just a heads up Kerio 2.1.5 doesn't work reliable with SP2, since they changed alot of stuff. (Try to do a portscan of your machine :eek: (Of course not from your own machine :) ))
But if it worked I would still be using it, low mem usage and intuitive interface combined with the exact features i want(ed) made it the best product out there. The new versions are (hmm how to put this mildly) a bit big and filled with a bit of useless things(Remember folks it's a FIREWALL, not a thingamajig). :)

A/V I can only recommend ESET NOD32 used to use Norton - but changed and have never looked back (without being abit angry on that slow piece of ....).

-E

Back