• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Low Rails on PCP&C?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 25, 2003
Messages
11,465
I was doing some temp testing for my new XP-120 today and I noticed MBM5 was reporting my 12v+ rail at like 11.72 and my 5v+ at around 4.95.

That's a bit more fluctuation than I'd like. Is this an accurate way of measuring voltages?
 
EnderW said:
That's a bit more fluctuation than I'd like. Is this an accurate way of measuring voltages?
No. Use a volt meter.
 
Mine are even further off the mark than my el-cheapo Antec. These are what the bios reads at idle....

12v = 12.16-12.22
3.3v = 3.34
5v = 5.18
 
Use a volt meter. Using the mobo to get reading is like sticking a 9v battery on your tongue to see if its still good.
 
Where and how cheap can I get a volt meter? Not only do I want to test it, but also make sure no damage was incurred when I accidentally knocked the power cord out while the system was running yesterday.
 
stryder2720 said:
Use a volt meter. Using the mobo to get reading is like sticking a 9v battery on your tongue to see if its still good.

Try that on your molex :eek:

Radioshack has em.
 
my Enermax noisetaker 600watt is also have the same problem like yours
that's why I bought a multimeter to test it
but until now I still don't know how to use :p
just waiting for instruction from somebody


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AMD64 3500+ newcastle
Thermalright SLK948U
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Leadtek 6600GT Extreme PCI-E x2
Kingston HyperX 433mhz 256mb x2
Seagate SATA 80GB x2 raid 0
Lite-On 16x DVD-writter
View Sonic VG910B LCD minitor
Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Creative S750 THX speaker
Enermax Noise Taker 600w
Thermaltake Xaser III V2000A
Window XP SP2
 
Hope this helps

Take your meter and set it to DC volts, at around 20 range, This should allow for a 00.00 reading. Then take a 4 lead molex and you will see Yellow ,black,black,red wires. Always connect.yellow/black or red black (pairs). Now carefully slide one red probe from the meter into the red lead on the molex and the black probe into the black connecter next to the red wire on the molex.
Look never ever ever ever touch the two together ever. Mr. Sparky is your enermy !
You will get a reading that will probably fluctuate. Now you can do the same for the yellow/black side.
Remember, we all like things that blow up but not sparky!

I take no responsibility for you meeting Mr. Sparky
 
JaMD said:
but, how to test for the +3.3V?


most likely youd probe the back of the main connector (orange) and a ground (black) when its on the board

keep in mind your Multimeter also has a range of error ±0.7%
which is pretty high, for comparision a top end Fluke would be ±0.025%
however its likely tighter than the SMBus (BIOS)
 
Ice Czar said:
keep in mind your Multimeter also has a range of error ±0.7%
which is pretty high, for comparision a top end Fluke would be ±0.025%
however its likely tighter than the SMBus (BIOS)

Well, hell that makes it kinda hard to test the 1% (or even 3% on most units) rail regulation doesn't it? How much does something like Fluke cost?

More then I'm willing to pay, I'm sure - just curious.
 
Fluke 175 - Accuracy ± (0.15%+2).............................$170
Fluke 177 - Accuracy ± (0.09%+2).............................$210
Fluke 179 - Accuracy ± (0.09%+2).............................$275
Max. Resolution 0.1 mV

Fluke 189 - Accuracy ± (0.025%+5)............................$360
Max. Resolution 1 µV


approximately (froogle returns)
 
Back
Top