• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

low profile CUDA compaitble cards

finito

n00b
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
1
Hi folks

First off, I'll admit my knowledge on video cards is limited to what I've googled in the last few hours (though you'd be surprised how much you can quickly learn).

Our group will be running large simulations through one of the high-end graphics cards later on in the year. I'll be in charge of getting this up and running, but in the meantime in order to learn CUDA and other GPU aspects I need some low cost card for my own machine.

I'm running Linux on a Dell Optiplex 760 (small form factor)

spec here

I think I'm just limited to Nvidia as I need to learn CUDA, and to lower end ones as I only have 235W. And it being a small case it needs to be low-profile.

Just want a quick recommendation on what will (safely) do the job.

Cheers
 
If you know what card you're eventually going to be using it on, best to get the lowest-power card that has the same feature set. A good table is on the Wikipedia VDPAU page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU

Otherwise, grab a G210. It's the lowest power, lowest cost of the cards with the most recent feature set.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top