Low-Profile cards with 220GT+ Performance..but quiet at desktop?

Regional Coffee

Weaksauce
Just got an 1GB MSI LP GT 220 DDR3 for use in my Acer Aspire (slimline). Previously had a 9500GT DDR2.

Performance is a nice improvement as expected (doubling the memory bandwidth helps of course), and I can play the majority of my games very smoothly at 1360x768 which is what I usually use on the HDTV.

Problem is..it's loud. REALLY loud. One benefit of the 9500GT is that it was near silent at the desktop and only ramped up for games. The 220GT however is loud right out of the gate, by far the loudest thing in the PC (the Aspire's are pretty quiet which is one of the reasons I like them). Frankly considering it has roughly the same power usage and thermal envelope of the 9500GT I was surprised, I wasn't expected identical acoustic performance but close.

A second problem of jumping the gun without doing enough research was finding out about the 5570 LP cards just as this came in. Most benchmarks they're significantly faster with roughly the same TDP, so kind of kicking myself already. Does anyone have any experience with certain brands in terms of acoustics? Once again I don't care about noise during gaming, the noise level running the Win7 desktop is my main concern.

I have the Sparkle GTS 250 and it sounds pretty quiet on the desktop to me.

But it is hard for me to compare that to your card.

During gaming the fan spins up and I can hear it, but during idle, I can barely hear it.

This might be because the card is UNDERclocked.

Unfortunately that's not an option - the cooler wouldn't fit. The PCI-16X slot on the Acer is at the top end of the motherboard, near the top of the case. The fan faces the top.

So only LP single-slot coolers unfortunately. :(

Back