Low power ZFS Build Check

dogbait

n00b
I know there are a tonne of build check threads here but just wanted to run mine by in case I'm being dense and missing something:

Hardware:
Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCL+-F
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220L V2
RAM: 16GB ECC
HBA: 2x IBM M1015 in IT mode
Case: 16 bay SATA/SAS hotswap chassis
HD (OS): 2x 250GB SATA 7200rpm in RAID 1
HD (Data): RAID 0 across 2x 8 (1TB) disk RAID-Z2 pools

Users will be approximately maximum of 3-4 concurrent and in total there's about 6TB of storage required for mainly photos, videos and possibly 6-8 vmware vmdks (mainly idling) served over NFS.

For low power, I would

not use 7k disks for OS
better: use 2 x 40 GB SSD, faster and less power

With 16 x 1 TB data disks you need about 100-120 Watts, gives you (2 x Z2)=12 TB
If you do not need max I/O with a lot of spindels, better use less 2,3 or 4 TB disks
ex: one Z2 Pool of 6 disks + hotspare

And do not forget to ask if your SuperMicro has an V.2 Bios (needed for Xeon v.2)
I have just ordered the same mainboard/ CPU and needed to ask the reseller for a biosupdate for a small fee

lower power does NOT mean to use low-voltage CPUs.
You only buy low-voltage CPUs if you have a problem with the CPUs' heat dissipations.
What you're after is maximum *efficiency*.

If your tasks requires a Workload X, a normal CPU takes 10 secs for that and is again in super-low-power idle-mode.
A low-voltage CPU takes 60 secs for that workload and in total uses a higher amount of power. The numbers are totally made up but you get the point, the normal CPU is much more *efficient*.

So, buy a 1230v2 ivy bridge xeon which has a total maximum of 69w, completes your workload in the minimum time and has an idle-consumption that is more or less that of the low-voltage crap.

Low-voltage is for 1u/2u servers where you just cant get the heat out of your rig, you won't have this problem.

lower power does NOT mean to use low-voltage CPUs.
You only buy low-voltage CPUs if you have a problem with the CPUs' heat dissipations.
What you're after is maximum *efficiency*.

If your tasks requires a Workload X, a normal CPU takes 10 secs for that and is again in super-low-power idle-mode.
A low-voltage CPU takes 60 secs for that workload and in total uses a higher amount of power. The numbers are totally made up but you get the point, the normal CPU is much more *efficient*.

So, buy a 1230v2 ivy bridge xeon which has a total maximum of 69w, completes your workload in the minimum time and has an idle-consumption that is more or less that of the low-voltage crap.

Low-voltage is for 1u/2u servers where you just cant get the heat out of your rig, you won't have this problem.

True in some cases, but not at the extremes.

The power dissipated by a CPU is (more or less) proportional to the clock speed.

However, power is also proportional to the square of the voltage. In other words, if you double the voltage of a CPU, you quadruple the power consumption.

So by decreasing the clock speed you're consuming less power over a longer period of time for a net wash. However, by decreasing the voltage you are actually increasing the efficiency of the system.

So yes, low voltage processors are perfect for efficient systems.

Also note that the 1220L has a turbo speed of 3.4GHz compared to 3.7GHz of the 1230v2 you suggested. At full turbo speed, they're going to be similar performance-wise for all workloads except those with more than 2 threads, as the 1220L is only 2 core. However, the 1220L is going to consume less power.

I think the 1220L is a fine choice. I just haven't seen many builds around it. Before you get too far, take a look at the E3-1220L V2, which has a higher clock speed (and turbo up to 3.5 GHz) with an even lower TDP of 17W. Price should be about the same.

Edit: Also consider just how small of a difference all of this is going to make. If your machine is idle most of the time, any recent CPU you pick is going to going to consume a negligible amount of power. Given the cost of electricity, you might come out ahead with a cheaper processor. Last time I ran the numbers, each additional Watt my NAS consumed cost me an additional $3.5 over the 5 year projected life of the system. If I can save $100 by picking cheaper parts and it only costs me an additional $35 in electricity, then I'm going to go with the cheaper parts.

Last edited:
I like your differentiated answer, AgentQ.
However, I really dont think the 1220L is that good a choice:
1220L Dual-Core vs. 1230 *very* efficient Quad-Core with HyperThreading

Back