• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Low Power Windows Server Build Hardware Check

J-Will

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Messages
1,728
This is the hardware I am thinking about ordering within the next few weeks.

OS: Windows Server 2008 (have)

Case: Norco 4220

HDD (separated by matching drives for RAID):
2x OS drive in RAID 1
6x 2tb drive RAID 5 or 10
2x 2tb drive RAID 1
2x 1tb drive RAID 1

I have all the storage drives, just need 2 OS drives. Also what RAID level would you guys suggest with the 6 drives?

Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O
Highlights- 2 gigabit LAN, 2 PCie x8 slots for expansion

CPU: i3-2100T Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz 2 x 256KB L2 Cache 3MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 35W
Highlights- 35W
Powerful enough for GUI Server 2k8 R2?

RAM: DDR3 ECC compatible with the MoBo? How much?

SAS HBA: SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8

PSU: What do you suggest to fit the Norco, while staying fairly power efficient and upgradeable enough for more HDDs in the future? Desktop? Server? Power? Modular?

2x SFF-8087 Fwd Break out Cables

Does my build look good? Is there anything that I am missing or should know?
 
i run server 08r2 gui on my amd zacate box (asus e35m1-pro) with 8gb ram and it seems ample.

I use 4x 2tb and 2x 1tb in windows software raid 5 and raid 1 respectively.

But, i only run utorrent, sabnzbd, sickbeard, and irc bouncer on my machine in addition to serving files over my network.

With all HD's spinning, my box draws ~ 60 watts, and down to 30-40 watts on idle.
 
Also using the e35m1 board with 8gb memory, 5x 1.5tb 5400rpm [no raid], about 20w idle, with drives spun down. no RAID. Running server 08r2. works great, xbmc even works pretty well

compraed to my i3-540 with zotac h55 mitx board, which was getting 50-60 watts on idle, but in solaris only, same drives/ps. not sure if the power saving stuff wasn't working with solaris, oi, and freenas, but i was really unhappy with idle usage.


Your i3 should be plenty powerful for server 08. Read reviews on that Sandy Bridge processor, says no difference in idle power for the 35w or the 65w chip. look at supermicro boards if you're set on ECC.
 
Last edited:
Since you have the hardware, is there some reason you've chosen not to make the box an all-in-one ZFS based virtual machine monster?
 
Since you have the hardware, is there some reason you've chosen not to make the box an all-in-one ZFS based virtual machine monster?

For the new build? I am not familiar with Unix so ZFS is in a territory I dont want to venture out to for this.

However, is the concensus that this hardware will work for Server 2008?

Any thoughts on the best RAID level to use with 6 drives?

RAM? or PSU?
 
Your i3 should be plenty powerful for server 08. Read reviews on that Sandy Bridge processor, says no difference in idle power for the 35w or the 65w chip. look at supermicro boards if you're set on ECC.

Thanks, I wanted to double check that. I think I'll stick with the 35w just to keep the heat and of course power levels down.
 
Any good recommendations for a low power, cheap HDD for the OS to sit on?
 
If this a low power machine, it might be better to only spin up 1 drive rather than several. I would get rid of the RAID unless there are some other concerns.

I like the 2.5 HD idea. Perhaps even a SSD.
 
Definitely RAID 5 for the 6xHDD array. RAID 10 is a joke and has very few applications. RAID 5 is far better for serious protection and uptime insurance for a 6 disk array.

For the OS, 2x2.5" portable-class drives would not be a bad idea. They have a very low power consumption and a 2xHDD RAID 1 array would be great for high read speeds.
 
You may want to consider this mobo. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182262
The only difference is 2 identical Intel NICs on this one vs one standard intel nic and the other is an intel chipset nic which currently has compatability issues with ESX from what I hear. From what I understand I see no reason not to get the one I'm suggesting.

Thanks for catching that, I had not noticed that the two NICs were not the same. It looks like the board you suggested is a better solution.
 
Definitely RAID 5 for the 6xHDD array. RAID 10 is a joke and has very few applications. RAID 5 is far better for serious protection and uptime insurance for a 6 disk array.

For the OS, 2x2.5" portable-class drives would not be a bad idea. They have a very low power consumption and a 2xHDD RAID 1 array would be great for high read speeds.

RAID 5 it is then. Thanks for your input.
 
If this a low power machine, it might be better to only spin up 1 drive rather than several. I would get rid of the RAID unless there are some other concerns.

I like the 2.5 HD idea. Perhaps even a SSD.

I was actually thinking the same thing last night, perhaps 1 drive is better. The idea being that it'll always be on, so after startup there should not be a lot of interfacing with the HDD.

Right now I'm leaning toward a 2.5"
 
Will a stick of this RAM work with the board yankee suggested? Or should I spend a little more now and get a lower voltage stick?
 
pretty much anything will work. your system is gonna use less then 100 watts at full power.

Hell, i'm using a power supply from my pentium 4 build that doesn't even have sata power plugs. Still going strong!
 
pretty much anything will work. your system is gonna use less then 100 watts at full power.

Hell, i'm using a power supply from my pentium 4 build that doesn't even have sata power plugs. Still going strong!

Great good to know, thanks.
 
Back
Top