low-power webserver

lollysticky

Weaksauce
I currently have one server that is both media fileserver and webserver/mailserver (only mail archiving etc).

However this requires that everything is up and running each time I want to access something. I want to move all webserver/mailserver stuff to a new machine. My requirements

* preferably System-on-Chip. I've been looking at Intel Avoton boards but they are expensive. Let's say I need a motherboard with a quad-core SoC, IPMI (really need this), 2 SATA (a mSATA slot would be fine as well) and preferably UDIMM instead of SODIMM memory.

* low-power! I don't know how well the i3 option stacks against SoC, but I desire low-power and quietness above all :)

I've been looking at several Supermicro and ASUS board but they all are quite overpowered for my needs (to many SATA ports, price, more cores than I need)

thanks for any advice!

Qnap?

I've heard they make great fileservers and they can run virtual machines as well. I've been looking at picking up the TS-253 Pro to use for backups and file storage as well as running Linux VMs for development.

They also have XBMC support and can handle media transcoding. I don't own one (yet) but it looks like they are powered from a 90W external power brick.

Qnap?

I've heard they make great fileservers and they can run virtual machines as well. I've been looking at picking up the TS-253 Pro to use for backups and file storage as well as running Linux VMs for development.

They also have XBMC support and can handle media transcoding. I don't own one (yet) but it looks like they are powered from a 90W external power brick.

I don't want any fileserver capability as I have that :)
I want a dedicated low-power machine separate from the fileserver. Else I have to run everything (including the fileserver) each time I want to access just the webserver.

Perhaps something using the baytrail J1900D2Y?

Maybe something based on the AMD G series T40E APU.
Or this one?
http://www.hystou.com/products/mini...on-1037u-htpc-alloy-case-with-usb30-1084.html
(This is a dual core example but on the page you can find N3510/20 and N2920 examples which are quad-core.
Most is with mSata, everything is fanless (own section for that), and all should be ~15W)
Not sure if it supports IPMI though, and most low power stuff does seem to still use sodimm I am afraid.

I don't want any fileserver capability as I have that :)
I want a dedicated low-power machine separate from the fileserver. Else I have to run everything (including the fileserver) each time I want to access just the webserver.

Ahhh, my bad, I misread your post.

How much does your current web/mail server get used? Is it just for your local use? Or are you using it to host pages to the general internet? If you don't need much CPU horsepower you could use a Raspberry Pi with an external USB drive for a simple web/mail server. Or you could use a Cubieboard like this:

http://www.eleduino.com/Cubieboard2-Dual-core-A20-Mini-PC-Devboard-full-kit-p10447.html

That has a SATA port and I think it has some flash memory on the board as well.

Edit: nevermind, I don't think either would have the IPMI you need.

Last edited:
Zotac ZBOX CI320 is pretty cheap, passively cooled and low powered. It has a quad core Bay Trail with 2.16GHz burst speed, 7.5W TDP and 4.5W SDP. It supports 8GB DDR3L SODIMM and a 2.5" drive.

Intel ARK link

Newegg link $130 shipped

Tweaktown reviewed it and measured system idle power draw of 7W. You may be able to lower it a few mW more by removing the wireless module if not needed, plus make sure you use an SSD that has really low idle power draw.

I have a zyxel nsa325v2 with a custom debian installed. It's originally a NAS, but with 1.6Ghz(!) marvell cpu and 512mb ram, there is plenty of room for a mini server. costs about 50€ in europe; plenty of second hand available. Not as powerfull as most product listed here, but wayyyyy cheaper and better power efficiency: I measured 11W under load. 1-5W idle (power too low for my watt-o-meter). If both 3.5" discs run a full speed, it's about 20W; I'm considering switching to 2.5". Only drawback is the fan beeing too noisy - just replace it.

Last edited:
Back