Low power UPS for 2 psu?

the-one1

2[H]4U
I cant afford a high power UPS (to support 550W psu), can I just buy a low power UPS for the ability to send a command to shut down the pc in case of a power outage? I dont need for the PCs to run for more than a minute, I just need it to be able to do a gracefull shutdown.

yeah, I saw some 1200-1500va UPS, but those are the ones I cant afford, so I'm stuck looking for 800-1100va ones. I'm wondering if they will suffice, will they do the job and tell the pc to shut down in one minute or less.

How much do you have to spend?

A good quality 800VA+ unit should easially be able to run 2 computers. In my dorm room I have an APC Smart-Ups 900 running 2 computers, 2 moniters and some other stuff, and I get around 15min uptime.

Another thing to mention, is that the size of your psu does not matter. All modern psu's only draw the current that the comptuer needs to run, meaning your 500W+ psu may be drawing much less than that.

I'm assumeing you are planning on running 2 computers off the ups, because you mentioned 2 psu's. You are probibly going to have to look into solutions to get the shutdown command to multiple computers. At work, the ups's in the racks i am responsible for all have serial expantion cards/network adaptors, or the pc directally connected to the ups is running software to shut down the other systems over the network.

Exactly the answers I've been hoping for. And about the 2 psu thing, its 2 psu powering one dual p3 with 7 HDs, 2 cd-roms. It has a 300 and 250 watt psu in it. I wont be powering anything else with the UPS, so thnx all.

Back