• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Low power laptop harddrive

vxspiritxv

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Feb 10, 2001
Messages
1,662
I got one of those usb 2.5 external cases. Anyways the specs call for under 500mA. I have yet to see a drive that fits this requirement. What I was wanting to get (before I read the manual) was http://www.fel.fujitsu.com/home/v3__product.asp?pid=470&inf=fsp&wg=13 but it has 0.90 amp spin up (900mA right?) everything else I have found so far is even worse.

Anyone know of any lower power 2.5 hd? Speed doesn't matter as it will be a usb mp3 device hooked to my bran new Kenwood KDC-X890 :D
 
Hmm. .9A is definitely pretty high. But I'm not sure they're not just hedging their bets; notice that it only takes 1.6 watts (at 5 volts, so that's 320 mA) when it's writing and half a watt (100 mA) at idle. That could be a worst-case scenario.

Could you maybe get a power adapter for it? You might be able to find a 12V->5V if this is for a car. That would simplify things a bit.

And I'd need a bigger drive than that, pretty soon... but I guess it doesn't do flac ;)

 
Back
Top