• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

"Low-Noise"? "Shielded"?

SEALTeamSix

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 15, 2003
Messages
2,434
I'm shopping for some new PC4000 DDR, and I'm wondering what the difference is (if any) between memory with a standard 6-Layer PCB and a 6-Layer "Low Noise, Shielded" PCB. Can anyone comment on the difference? Here's the page with the memory I'm looking at: link. Any help is appreciated!

-SEAL
 
Noise i believe causes interuption in the signal. For functional purposes, low noise may slightly improve performance, and possibly a slightly higher overclock. Thats probably in theory. In reality it probably wont effect much.

I *think* How far i am off the mark is a good question :)
 
M4d-K10wN said:
What do they do, put the chips into faraday cages? :rolleyes:

I believe shielded is meant to help other components in the system, and not just the memory.
 
So what is the difference between it and regular? How does it do whatever it does?

-SEAL
 
NOOOOO

Whatever memory you order, please don't buy from buyaib.com

I bought what PC2700 from them when it first came out... and then subsequently found out it was overclocked pc2100. The memory was crap, and died eventually; Tech support sucked, and it was like pulling teeth to get an RMA # When I finally got one, they sent back a stick that was DOA, and wouldn't replace it.

They have a reseller rating of 2.5 :eek:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2870.html
0.63 Technical Support
0.45 Return or Replacement
:eek: :eek:

As for the shielding, AFAIK it's just marketing
 
Vertigo Acid said:
NOOOOO

Whatever memory you order, please don't buy from buyaib.com

I bought what PC2700 from them when it first came out... and then subsequently found out it was overclocked pc2100. The memory was crap, and died eventually; Tech support sucked, and it was like pulling teeth to get an RMA # When I finally got one, they sent back a stick that was DOA, and wouldn't replace it.

They have a reseller rating of 2.5 :eek:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2870.html
0.63 Technical Support
0.45 Return or Replacement
:eek: :eek:

As for the shielding, AFAIK it's just marketing

woah, 2.5, not shopping there... thanks for the look-out!

-SEAL
 
There's no difference... any RAM PCB has to be "low noise", otherwise you won't be able to get FCC certification on the RAM.
 
Id think it has more to do with internal noise control between the layers
or sheilding from external EMF
then external broadcast

as to its utility in comparision to "normal" PCB layup
or if its just marketing spin
I couldnt venture a guess

from the above link
Summary
The previous sections have discussed various ways to stack-up high-speed, digital logic, PCBs having from four to ten layers. A good PCB stack-up reduces radiation, improves signal quality, and helps aid in the decoupling of the power bus. No one stack-up is best, there is a number of viable options in each case and some compromise of objectives is usually necessary.

In addition to the number of layers, the type of layer (plane or signal), and the ordering of the layers, the following factors are also very important in determining the EMC performance of the board:


The layer spacing.
The assigning of signal layer pairs for orthogonal routing of signals.
The assignment of signals (clock, bus, high-speed, low-frequency, etc.) to which signal-routing-layer pairs

This discussion on board stack-up has assumed a standard 0.062" thick board, with symmetrical cross-section, and conventional via technology. If blind, buried, or micro vias are considered, other factors come into play and additional board stack-ups not only become possible but in many cases desirable.
 
Ice Czar said:
Id think it has more to do with internal noise control between the layers
or sheilding from external EMF
then external broadcast

as to its utility in comparision to "normal" PCB layup
or if its just marketing spin
I couldnt venture a guess

from the above link
Well, any PCB trace that acts as an antenna and is sensitive to external EMI will also broadcast whatever goes along that trace. There's no such thing as a "one way" antenna.

I think it's all just a marketing spin... there's really not any "engineering time" difference involved in making a PCB low-noise, and any PCB designer with experience with high speed digital should do a good layout anyway.
 
wouldnt the difference in the strength of the field enter into it?
a weak internal vs a strong external?

at least that was what I was thinking :p
I agree with the one way antenna part

Redthorne, your welcome ;)
 
Back
Top