Low Network Utilization (Wireless)

melteye

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm currently working on a netwok that stores data on a dedicated server; I am trying to add a wireless client to the network:

When running off 10/100 the program launches fine and has a good response time, but when I switch to wireless (802.11b) the program has inconsistent launches and 10-30 second launch times... even though network utilization never goes beyond 43%.

I believe this may be an issue with a registry setting but need to know where to look for resolution. Thanks in advance.

Are you sure it's not just wireless being slow? You are comparing a 100 megabit connection to one that has a THEORETICAL MAXIMUM of 11. Real world out of 802.11b is more like 1-2 megabits in many circumstances, and can fluctuate due to range, obstructions, distance, interferance (microwaves, cordless phones, etc).

So I'd look to see what your signal strength looks like before you determine that something is actually wrong. If signal is weak, you may want to look into relocating the AP, the workstation, or replacing antenna's.

Signal strength is very strong. I do realize the difference in speed; but watching the up/down speed it doesn't approach 11mbit/sec. It takes 20 seconds to launch the program and over those 20 seconds the throughput averages 300k/sec

The first five seconds = 600k/sec (showing 43% throughput)
The next fifteen seconds= 300k/sec (showing 20% throughput)

You will never be able to get more than 4-6 megabits/sec out of 802.11b, even if you are right next to the wireless access point.

All 802.11{a,b,g} devices must transmit the header of the packet at 2 megabits so all clients can read the header. The payload of the datagram can be transmitted at the maximum speed for the protocol.

Get a newer router and card man. I got a 802.11g router and PC card combo kit for $40 after rebate. There are tons of good deals. If you are having any speed troubles with b then there is really no reason to not switch to g. I get great speeds with g.

Back