low low low budget system rec/ques

schapman

Gawd
k.. my sisters board blew up.. now she needs a replacement for her duron 900... unless i can find an old board that takes sd, i think she'll be switching to ddr.. so my first question is.. can u put a duron 900 in an nforce2 board? i was thinking the
A7N8X-VM : nForce2 IGP AGP8X ATA133 S462/333 Dual-DDR400 w/ Audio/Video/LAN @ $135.00 CAD

and 256MB PC2100 256MB PC2100 DDR266-SDRAM CAS 2.5

going w/ onboard cause cost IS an issue.. and as far as performance goes.. all she does is watch the odd dvd and IM/surf

basically.. shes got some pc133 and a duron 900... and i need video/board/maybe ram for sub $200 CAD (so $157 USD)

Checking the ASUS website would have ruled out your first choice the board will not support a Duron 900. Original NForce chipset will.

Motherboard Asus A7N266-VM comes with onboard sound/video/lan. $85 CDN. 256 m PC2100 $51 CDN Total $136 plus tax.

Asus A7N266-VM or Shuttle MN31N, you'll need the DDR but the onboard audio, video, LAN and USB will serve you well. I have both boards and they work fine, I'd recommend the Shuttle as its a bit newer and will be a capable board for quite some time where the Asus is getting a bit dated.

Regards, Szandor

I have an Asus A7N266-VM running on my sister's box and it's been rock solid.

First I would assure myself that the Duron 900 was still functioning properly. Then, if you want to get out for as little $$$ as possible, I believe this board supports PC-100 and PC-133 SDRAM:

Check it out

Cost is $51.00 US...but I'd only go this route if you absolutely don't have the dough to get into something that you can upgrade later (like and nForce 2, for example).

the stuff is for my sisters computer.. she took it back where she bought it, cause i wasnt troubleshooting it fast enought for her (work 60+ hours / week)... they told her the board/ps were fried... and now... without waiting for me... she just told them to fix it.. so now shes out $20 for the estimate.. plus another $200 to fix it (parts plus $50 install). i told her to tell me exactly what they were putting in it.. but she ignored me of course. Thanx for the help anyways guys :p we'll see if she gets any support from my the next time she breaks windows :)

i say you get MSI k7t pro or something... it's SDRAM based on Via KT133A (it supports athlon XPs even)

Back