• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Low light, indoors, best bets?

Gondi

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 31, 2003
Messages
241
I bring the cam along to the bar once every few months. The only problem is that it's really hard to get the meter/focus right in such low light situations (i'm talking dank pit)

The camera is a Oly C-750 and doesn't have an AF Assist light, unfortunately. I can use a flash, but it puts off such harsh tones and cuts the background out.

Anyone have some recommendations on some settings to try? Best thing I could come up with is setting a high ISO... Tripod/monopod isn't really a possibility since i'm drinkin too ;)
 
Are you sure a collapseable monopod isn't an option? Some of those can collapse down pretty far and would fit in a decently sized camera bag.

For focusing, here's an idea that might work: take the picture with the flash innitially then lock the focus (don't know how to do that on an Oly but there must be some way) and take one without a flash.

Are there manual exposure controls on the Oly? If so then here is what I would do. Go down to a basement or some other place that is about as dark as a bar and start snapping pictures. Find the lowest shutter-speed that you can take a pic at and still have enough sharpness (remember these are impromptu drunken shots, they don't need to be incredibly sharp for that kind of photography I find that I can take acceptable 1/4-1/2 second shots). Leave your camera on that setting with a low-aperature and as high of an ISO as you are willing to use and you should be able to snap decent pictures.
 
I guess I should have clarified. I won't be caught dead hauling a tripod of any kind around a bar ;)

Blip i'll try the basement stuff
 
yeah i can feel ya...digi cams = fun, embarrassing drunk pictures

digi cam + tripod = serious, incriminating pictures.

plus, when you are drinking and having fun, you just want to shoot and not really care about setting up everything.
 
Originally posted by bromide
yeah i can feel ya...digi cams = fun, embarrassing drunk pictures

digi cam + tripod = serious, incriminating pictures.

plus, when you are drinking and having fun, you just want to shoot and not really care about setting up everything.

hehehe... indeed. Another great feature in a bar is the video mode that some digis have. It's great when your buddy is doing something that you KNOW he'll regret in the morning! :D
 
a trick i learned is to balance cam on beer bottle, set timer so the capture doesnt take place when you push button, set long shutter times and open apeture (if manual cam)=profit
the cue ball was low light pool table shot...cam on edge of table...
redfrog3-5-04 016.jpg

as for the rest, it was a pretty dark bar, with some neat lighting effects...so i sat at a table, and balanced cam on a long neck beer bottle and this is what i took
redfrog3-5-04 017.jpg

redfrog3-5-04 033.jpg

redfrog3-5-04 034.jpg

redfrog3-5-04 036.jpg

redfrog3-5-04 039.jpg
 
As much as I would like to be able to get 13 second exposures to come out well, it would be tough in this place:

murphys.jpg


That's from my old cam, but it gives and idea of the lighting.. or lack thereof.
 
Back
Top