• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

low IDLE power, m-itx server? (i3?)

tlc

n00b
Joined
Oct 15, 2010
Messages
6
I was thinking about an Atom m-itx server in the PC-Q08, when I read that i3-5xx builds idle almost as low as Atoms. My system will be on-but-idle a lot of the time, so low idle power is important. But more oomph (say, for transcoding) when it's not idle is interesting too.

So I'm looking for general or specific mobo/cpu/cooler recommendations:
  • m-itx,
  • low ldle power,
  • at least 4 sata ports to start, with a path to 6 or 8 (pci-e),
  • gigabit ethernet,
  • on board video, nothing special,
  • good bang for the $$

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
How often will you be doing transcoding?

How soon do you need it?

The Sandy Bridge (socket 1155) Core i3 2100T is rated at 35W TDP.

Here's a review of the Core i3 2100 (non-T, so higher TDP).
 
I'm probably going to go with a 2390T, if I can ever find one :p
 
Honestly, transcoding would be rare. This is really just a file server & video streamer with some just-in-case power.

I don't think I need to wait for the lastest & greatest.

Thanks for the link. Good stuff.
 
I'm basically in the same boat trying to decide what parts to buy.

I was considering this SUPERMICRO MBD-X7SPA-HF
miniITX & has 6 SATA ports
was gonna put it in the PC-Q08 also

or go with a microATX
SUPERMICRO MBD-X8SIL-F + either an i3 530 or Xeon 3440
and different case


Or wait more for supermicro's 1155 boards...what to do.
 
or go with a microATX

That's something else to do I guess. The PC-Q08 is really huge for a mini ITX case. The PC-A04 is around 50% bigger by volume, but can hold micro ATX (more SATA cards plz!) and a bunch more drives.
 
Damn. After spending the weekend reading up, I'm almost definitely waiting for SB.
I don't spend a lot of (my own) money on computers, so I can splurge a little on hardware, once.

PC-Q08
i3-2100T or i5-2390T
The Intel DH67CF has been shown to have a low idle draw. I'd consider other boards if/when they're shown to have the same, especially if they have more SATA ports.
 
Back
Top