Low Gpu Usage on the Gtx 1650

leon555

n00b
Hello everyone,

My Gtx 1650 (Single channel 2400mhz cl17 Ram, i5 9300h, 512gb SSD) is runnin gon a to low Usage in some games. For example on 50% on CSGO or 70% in Pubg. In some games my gpu is only at a 40% usage. Its deffinately not a Bottleneck and i dont really think that its cause of the Single Channel. Ive done Like everything ive seen so war but nothing has helped me. Sry for my bad english
smile.gif
. My Laptop is the Lenovo L340 15IRH.

Best wishes

Leon

There is no way to do that

The best thing you can do for your system, is get a second stick of RAM.

Here is one with a 1650 super

Wow thats a big big Impact. But why cant my Gpu just be a Gpu and have high Usage? Why is Ram more Important than Gpu?

because the games and the way you have them configured dont require 100% gpu usage. if you want to see it pegged you need to crank it up. otherwise stop fussing.

Yeah, CSGO and PUBG are not really demanding games to begin with and it's easy to see a CPU bottleneck on them even with a lower-end i5-9300.

I'm curious as to what your FPS is with v-sync disabled though, because if your CPU is the bottleneck, then turning up the IQ in the games isn't going to lower your FPS until your GPU becomes the limiting factor. I'm guessing you're well over 150 FPS on both games if you have the IQ low and you're only seeing 50% or so GPU utilization.

Keep in mind that older games like that typically aren't very multi-threaded either, so they'll only utilize 1-4 cores/threads and are very dependent on clock speeds at that point, but you'll only see 25-50% of your CPU being utilized because the game can only use that much of it.

Wow thats a big big Impact. But why cant my Gpu just be a Gpu and have high Usage? Why is Ram more Important than Gpu?

Hey Leon!

If your GPU is showing low usage, it means either the software isn’t demanding enough to tax the card to its limit, or you have another bottleneck elsewhere in the system that is slowing performance. As others have pointed out, single channel RAM could be one of those bottlenecks that you need to address. If the GPU is not getting enough fed to it for processing because the line is squeezed there, then it has no need to run at 100%, and it won’t run at 100%. The only ways to tax the card higher would be to either crank the settings skyward or remove the bottlenecks so the GPU is getting fed more data to process. Single channel RAM effectively squeezes the data line so that less gets to the GPU and it has less to do. You can think about it like if you’re building a wall, and I give you more bricks than you can possibly lay, you’ll be frantically building it, but if I cut off the amount of bricks and only give you half the amount you need to keep you busy, you’ll be working slower, with your build speed limited by how fast I can give you the bricks you need to build the wall.

Makes sense?

Yeah, CSGO and PUBG are not really demanding games to begin with and it's easy to see a CPU bottleneck on them even with a lower-end i5-9300.

I'm curious as to what your FPS is with v-sync disabled though, because if your CPU is the bottleneck, then turning up the IQ in the games isn't going to lower your FPS until your GPU becomes the limiting factor. I'm guessing you're well over 150 FPS on both games if you have the IQ low and you're only seeing 50% or so GPU utilization.

Keep in mind that older games like that typically aren't very multi-threaded either, so they'll only utilize 1-4 cores/threads and are very dependent on clock speeds at that point, but you'll only see 25-50% of your CPU being utilized because the game can only use that much of it.
In csgo i have around 130 fps and in Pubg i only have 70

Hey Leon!

If your GPU is showing low usage, it means either the software isn’t demanding enough to tax the card to its limit, or you have another bottleneck elsewhere in the system that is slowing performance. As others have pointed out, single channel RAM could be one of those bottlenecks that you need to address. If the GPU is not getting enough fed to it for processing because the line is squeezed there, then it has no need to run at 100%, and it won’t run at 100%. The only ways to tax the card higher would be to either crank the settings skyward or remove the bottlenecks so the GPU is getting fed more data to process. Single channel RAM effectively squeezes the data line so that less gets to the GPU and it has less to do. You can think about it like if you’re building a wall, and I give you more bricks than you can possibly lay, you’ll be frantically building it, but if I cut off the amount of bricks and only give you half the amount you need to keep you busy, you’ll be working slower, with your build speed limited by how fast I can give you the bricks you need to build the wall.

Makes sense?
Ok thank you sadly my Laptop has only Single Channel Ram, Do you´ll think that the Asus F571 would be a better Choice? it has one build in Ram and one more Ram slot available.

Ok thank you sadly my Laptop has only Single Channel Ram, Do you´ll think that the Asus F571 would be a better Choice? it has one build in Ram and one more Ram slot available.
Overall, no. It has the same exact specs as your Lenovo. If you want more FPS in a laptop then you have to pay for it. Something like the MSI GS75 or ASUS ROG Zephyrus. If you don't need to be mobile you would get more out of your money by building a desktop.
your laptop doesn't have 2 ram slots?
1584994807286.png

Hey Leon,

Choices on which machine to buy is best made depending on what games you like to play (or software you intend to run). Choose one that gives you a playable framerate within your budget while producing satisfactory image quality. Check reviews first for those specific titles if you can before making a purchase. Don't worry so much about whether or not components are at 100% use, focus on whether or not you're satisfied with the framerate and graphics. If your current machine is providing satisfactory enjoyment, just leave it as is.

As Armenius said above, that Asus model won't change your current experience, so it's not worth it.

The next question you should be asking yourself is why the laptop? Are you doing a lot of mobile gaming? If you find you're at home most of the time and really don't need the mobility, it might make more sense for you to build a desktop PC for home gaming and just keep your old laptop around for less power-intensive clerical type tasks. You'll get more bang for your buck that way, and have better options for upgrading that wont necessarily require a complete system changeover. I used a gaming laptop back when I was at university going back and forth from school to home, but once I graduated, I found I preferred the desktop, particularly because I found I had to disassemble my laptop every few months to clean the heatsinks and prevent thermal throttling. That's a far more labourious process than stuffing a vacuum in your case every once in a while, and even more so now that you can get dust filtered cases.

Back