• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Low frames per second in games with x800xl?

Buckweed

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 27, 2004
Messages
105
not sure why this happens in BF2, I have a x800xl and im pretty sure this card can handle alot, the lowest ive seen the fps dip into is 15fps when there is alot of action going on or many players on screen at one time.

I have my dynamic shadows and lighting on low, aa2x, light on low, 1024x768, textures on high, terrain on high. now I didnt buy a $400 video card to put all my settings on medium or low, so whats the problem here?

system specs
x800xl
1gig corsair pc3200RAM
p4 2.6ghz
asus P4S800


and even with medium settings and no aa and light and shadows OFF, the frame rate really doesnt improve much
 
Buckweed said:
not sure why this happens in BF2, I have a x800xl and im pretty sure this card can handle alot, the lowest ive seen the fps dip into is 15fps when there is alot of action going on or many players on screen at one time.

I have my dynamic shadows and lighting on low, aa2x, light on low, 1024x768, textures on high, terrain on high. now I didnt buy a $400 video card to put all my settings on medium or low, so whats the problem here?

system specs
x800xl
1gig corsair pc3200RAM
p4 2.6ghz
asus P4S800


and even with medium settings and no aa and light and shadows OFF, the frame rate really doesnt improve much

I have the same vid card as u and a similar setup with the only difference of the cpu being a athlon 64 3000. I don't know if it's the card but, my fps range is way too much. It will go from the 130's all the way down to the 40's in some games. I guess this is what they call "tearing". It is annoying and it makes me sometimes think "I payed alot for this card and this is what I got??"
 
swy81 said:
I have the same vid card as u and a similar setup with the only difference of the cpu being a athlon 64 3000. I don't know if it's the card but, my fps range is way too much. It will go from the 130's all the way down to the 40's in some games. I guess this is what they call "tearing". It is annoying and it makes me sometimes think "I payed alot for this card and this is what I got??"

Tearing is what happens when vsync is not enabled. It's when the frames your card is drawing do not sync up with the refresh rate of your monitor...there was an awesome explaination of it somewhere, but I don't have time to look for it. Not having vsync on in BF2 is just distracting as hell, what with all the explosions and smoke etc...

Oh yeah, and I agree with the other guy, the cpu is probably bottlenecking the video card.
 
Go in to catalyst control center for your ATI card and make sure that Vsync is set to be FORCED all of the time. I can't stand to play the game without this set. It just looks terrible. My eyes are fast enough to see it so it really helps. Also, that 2.4GHz Intel CPU is crap for that game. You need to OC it a little. Try for 3.0GHz and you will notice an improvement. My setup with this 9700pro runs the game butter smooth with no slow downs at all but I turned off shadows. Try that and it may relieve your CPU some. Also try turning down other CPU intensive options that may be holding you back. One thing is for sure and it is that your GPU is not the problem here.
 
i have an x800 xl and it runs great 1280x1024 with everything on high and textures on medium becuaseof my 1 gig or ram only. some times it gets like 30 frames constant but i think thast because it getting too hot and all i need to do it reboot...its fine after that back up to 50-75
 
Back
Top