• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Low end video card upgrades

Tiberius

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 6, 2007
Messages
1,110
I'm trying to get some inexpensive video cards for the kids. I got them 2 copies of L4D2 and that THQ game pack from Steam and would like to increase their FPS a bit.

Athlon 64 4000+(939), 2GB, 7800GT,17in LCD(12x10)
Athlon 3500+(939), 2GB,8500GT, 15inLCD(10x7)

Their PCs are low end but they seem to play everything they want. L4D (and other Source games), DDO online,RTS, older FPS, etc.

I snagged a good deal on a 512MB X1900XT and I'm looking for another video card. I would like to keep it around $40.

I saw a 2600XT for $29 in the FS/FT section, is that worth buying? or any other suggestions?
 
I have experience with both the x1900xt from playing my brothers computer as well as the 2600xt that I had in my own pc before my new build.

We still use the x1900xt (actually ours was an x1900xtx) in my brothers old pc as a hand me down to my other brother. The x1900xt plays L4D2 (at least the demo) very well, as well as borderlands and is able to stay on its feet on several other games so i dont think you'll regret that purchase.

As for the 2600xt, which i used for maybe three years, I played Crysis with this card on medium and its served me proud on other games as well. I was litteraly playing games on my old PC with the 2600xt little over a month ago with no trouble (as long as your not expecting to put your settings to max). So if thats the card your looking to get from for sale/trade you probably wont regret that buy either.
 
x1900xt's are good deals
Also keep an eye out for 8800gts 320mb's. Those should be going for around $40.
 
A used 9600gso used (or really good deal new) is a great budget deal. We got my wife's for like $20 minus the rebate. Without the rebate they are pretty cheap. The 4670 would also be a great choice, so one up for jaguarskx.
 
Back
Top