Low End Projector or New SFF PC?

mojojojoman

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 5, 2001
Messages
1,031
Just got paid nay 5 hours ago, and I'm already thinking about what to spend my money on. I figure I'm going to limit myself to these two options.

1. Decent mid-low end projector <~$1000
or
2. SFF System or maybe a new one of those 5lb dell laptops if they go on sale.

I currently have: 1.4ghz tbird, 512mb pc2700, mx440, 19" planar lcd, 15" generic lcd in portrait mode, so I don't really want a new lcd, thats kind of why I want the projector.
120gb wd se, 75gb gxp :eek: 40gb maxtor
I also have a laptop too, some toshiba bout 2 gen ago, 2.0 ghz celeron, 512mb/20gb etc etc. It works fine, it just weighs a shitload, and I can't walk with it anywhere. 5lbs would cut that in half.

As you can also see, my computer is in need of an upgrade, I'm getting memory errors, it needs a new hard drive etc etc. I wish I had time to game, It would be nice to pick up farcry to play on a system that could handle it, but I really don't have much time to play with that stuff anymore.

So, If any of you have advice on projectors that can help me, or think i should get a SFF system or even a baby dell, voice your opinions to help a guy who works too much to enjoy the things he spends it on.

-Mike
 
what would the projector be used for? movies and tv? Also, projector's light bulbs are really expensive, like over $150!

Go with the laptop or SFF, or upgrade your system.
 
Forgot to mention I don't have a TV, it would be for lounging and watching tv and movies on a big screen. I know the bulbs run expensive, but I don't think i would replace it, seeing as It would be a while before it burns out, or drastically loses performance, I would just replace the whole projector.

For SFF I was looking at the sb51g refurb at newegg with a mobile 2600 xp, $232 for the case with native dual monitor display. Not bad, is a 256 bit 9800 pro worth it for light gaming? Will it handle farcry OK? It would be nice to see my 19" run on dvi.
I would put a gig of memory in it, and I might head across the street after work and pick up a 250 gb maxtor from cussr.

-Mike
 
Back
Top