Low budget server

bob

2[H]4U
For awhile ive been looking to buy a 1U server or two for use as an offline test-server/backup server. 1U, mainly because my studio apartment is rather crampt with my damn subwoofers, king size inflatable mattress, and couch.

I know enough in linux to get by, from using freesco for a few years. Im not a guru, hell... I can barely even get networking set up without a GUI under fedora. That said, an ideal server for me would be win2k with VNC running, so I can change things around from the comfort of sitting on the couch with a wireless handheld, but its not necessary.

1U servers on ebay, for anything above a PII, cost far too much. I dont know about the rest of you, but I do not consider 130-150+ for a PII era computer reasonable by any stretch of the imagination. The lowest priced server that does not say "no ram, no hard drive, no os, no warrenty AS IS!!!", is something by Sun Microsystems. Since the hardforum rules forbid ebay links...

Sun Netra T1 105
UltraSparc IIi 64-bit 440Mhz
256MB ram
18GB hard drive (im assuming 10,000rpm SCSI)
no cdrom/floppy
$99.95 after shipping

As far as x86 compatible 1U servers in my price range:
Dell PowerEdge PowerApp Web 100 600MHz / 9GB 1U Server
P3-600Mhz
64MB ram
9GB ultra3 SCSI drive
$76.99 after shipping

My website really isnt up yet, mainly due to schoolwork taking priority. Its all going to be Php 4.3 (possibly 5), Mysql, and Perl. My main concern is setting this thing up to actually do what I want, and its performance. Ive had 220Mhz compaq proliant servers before, they kicked some serious ass for html based webpages, could support far more traffic than I would ever hope to see. But recently, I tested joomla on a K62-500Mhz, it takes 22-23 seconds just to load the home page (1 user, one click).

Im concerned about if something like this could support a joomla powered website, over something like a DSL connection with 512K upload. Normally it would not be used online, just as testing at home before I began uploading to the main site. Im also concerned the Sun 1U server might not even have a normal 15-pin video out connector, ive seen some of the SUN servers with serial console only...

Should I consider purchasing this thing? Or would the 600Mhz dell be a better performer assuming I gave it a more reasonable amount of ram?

Bump

Mainly wanting to know how this compares as a web server to a PIII

Back