Low 3dmark06 score with my new video card?

Capfarland

Limp Gawd
I've just tested my new evga 7950gt 256mb card in 3dmark06 & I seem to only be getting 4921 points in 3dmark06... though it says on 3dmark06's page that systems with a similar configuration to mine are getting close to 7000+, are my numbers right for my system or is there something that is bogging the score?

I dont know what your card should run, but you gotta take into consideration that many people run overclocked cards, on water cooling, bad as CPU's etc.

I had an 8800GTX overclocked to like 640/2050 and yet there where people scoring way higher then me. You also gotta make sure it doesnt say they have 2 of your cards in SLI mode, as it will show up in the same list as the single cards.

in 06, im pretty sure thats a good score, I mean the 8800GTX has trouble hitting 10,000 in most cases, and IM sure its atleast twice the card as the 7950GT

Yeah, my system was ranked the lowest of 19 systems 'similar to mine'.

I bumped my cards core clock up from 550mhz to 580mhz and my memory clock from 1.40ghz to 1.50ghz , i got a nice performance boost bumping my score up to 5171.

I'm kind of a newbie at overclocking video cards so, do these frequencies seem OK? I made sure to set them in increments of 5 and test them for a bit in rthdribl for stability.

Yeah.. I had a hard time.. I never could take a screen shot when I finally hit over 17,000.. I froze up.. I tried submitting and it froze. The only thing I could take a screen shot was when I was in the 16,000 range..

3dmark06-3.jpg

3dmark06-3-2.jpg

Ive set 2 instances of rthdribl on, both individually set on each of my cores, to test the stability of my GPU with the new clock frequencies, I might have gone too high with the memory clock at first, as I set it to 1.90ghz at first and ran some 3d apps...

But the performance boost from setting them to 580mhz - 1.50ghz was pretty impressive, and the temp increase doesnt seem bad. im getting 76c with both of these running and with my fan controller I can get the temps down a few more degrees too.

I've just tested my new evga 7950gt 256mb card in 3dmark06 & I seem to only be getting 4921 points in 3dmark06... though it says on 3dmark06's page that systems with a similar configuration to mine are getting close to 7000+, are my numbers right for my system or is there something that is bogging the score?

From my experience with 3dmark, an overclocked cpu has a huge impact on the score. Try searching for results that have a similar cpu rating. I'm running an e6300 at stock speeds with a factory overclocked 8800gts. When I compare projects that have the same gpu, the scores are all over the place due to the different cpu ratings. The two CPU tests seem to have a huge impact.

But, remember, your 3dmark score is not really a good barometer for performance. Someone with a score 20% higher than mine doesn't actually see that translate into increased performance (as far as games are concerned). They probably only see about 2 extra frames per second.

Yeah, my system was ranked the lowest of 19 systems 'similar to mine'.

I bumped my cards core clock up from 550mhz to 580mhz and my memory clock from 1.40ghz to 1.50ghz , i got a nice performance boost bumping my score up to 5171.

I'm kind of a newbie at overclocking video cards so, do these frequencies seem OK? I made sure to set them in increments of 5 and test them for a bit in rthdribl for stability.
My 7900 GT is overclocked to 550/1600 and I score somewhere in the 5800 range. My CPU is overclocked as well.

It looks like your CPU is holding you back.

Just as a point of reference, I have a 7950 GT too. My highest 3dMark06 score was 6027 with the slight OC in my sig.

I am not sure what the pics of SLI'ed 8800's have to do with this thread at all. E-Penis = longer? J/k

Anyways, That seems to be a decent score. Don't look into 3dmark scores too much... Honestly the only thing they are good for is figuring out if you have big problems, such as a huge bottleneck, driver conflict, or something else. If you're in the ballpark for your setup, which you clearly are, you should be happy!

The highest I got with my 7950GT was 6337, but that was with a 3.2 OC E6400 and a volt mod getting my card's clocks up to 720mhz and 1740mhz memory. So, for nearly stock you're doing great. If you're going to overclock I'd recommend an aftermarket heatsink, but if you are under 75*C you're fine.

Try clocking it at 600mhz core and 1.6ghz memory and test it with ATiTool for about 30 minutes. Make sure the temps are good and you'll have a good overclock for a bit more performance.

I don't know what you're on about... 4000 ish is a perfectly decent score for your rig. Hell, most people with a 3800+ and a G80 board don't even reach 7000 on 3DMark 06.

You shouldn't really pay much attention to the "Similar Systems" part of the ORB because lots of people cheat. :p

yeah, I just figured my original score was just a bit low, because with my factory over clocked verto 6800gs I was getting around 3000. I didn't really take into consideration SLI setups being placed as similar configurations though, interesting.

I do think the CPU is holding me back as well, I might be able to clock that up, but it gets around 50c load as it is, so im not sure if I want it going any higher. I do realize that 3dmark06 scores don't exactly translate to most games performance-wise, though.

I got 0 errors upon running ATI tool for 30 minutes with the new clock speeds, still hovering around 75c too, i'll have to test out a few games later on. Thanks for the response all.

I have the same issue. I get 4800 with my setup. But when I search on there database everyone else gets 8000+

Same cpu clocks and seems to be same clocks on the gpu... I dono im confused :mad:

I have the same issue. I get 4800 with my setup. But when I search on there database everyone else gets 8000+

Same cpu clocks and seems to be same clocks on the gpu... I dono im confused :mad:

Using your system as a base to do a search on the ORB, I see only ONE system with an 8000-ish score. All the rest range from 4700 to 5200. Speculating purely on the results listed I'd say that the 8000-ish guy is using some kind of shady method to get that score.

<EDIT>

Similarly, when using the OP's system as a base to do a search on the ORG, I see one result in the 7000 ish range... all the rest are in the 4800 - 5200 range.

Are you sure you guys are looking at the results for 3DMark 06?

I had an older version of 3DMark06 and got a score of around 5500. The lastest version gives me a score closer to 5800.

When bechmarking, I always turn off AA/AF and Vsync, and set texture filtering to high performance. Defragging sometimes helps increase the score a little.

I mean the 8800GTX has trouble hitting 10,000 in most cases, and IM sure its atleast twice the card as the 7950GT

Seriously? I can hit 10.000 in Futuremark06 if I OC my 8800GTS and that's running Windows Vista...

Here are my results after a fresh XP installation, with a core of 600MHZ and a memory clock of 1.45ghz, I'm fairly pleased with the results.

untitled-1.jpg

It's got to be the CPU holding you back. But that's a good score. You should be able to push the memory up to 1600-1700 MHz without a problem. It'll give you a bit more bandwidth.

Seriously? I can hit 10.000 in Futuremark06 if I OC my 8800GTS and that's running Windows Vista...

QFT, I didn't run 3mark06 until after I had determined a stable overclock, and my first score was a touch above 10k

Back