Love your i7 920 ?

Recently upgraded to i7; have not used Intel for ~10yrs now, but now was certaintly a good time to do it. Upgraded from a AMD x2 6400+ to this new i7 system. Previous MB was a Asus Crosshair and am using it in a networked HTPC setup on our 50" Plasma in bedroom.:) Ive had nothing but good experiences with the Crosshair...hence my new upgrade went to a Asus P6T Deluxe. So far three weeks testing, no abnormal problems.

I am very satisfied with my upgrade. I have built many systems,but this being my first i7 setup. IMHO their is no comparison to the i7 and you can not go wrong with it as long as $ are not the upgrade issue.

As for those considering going to H2O cooling, if u use a great air cooler the only real difference is the amount of time it takes the temp recovery once load is taken away. It cools back down to idle temps within 1-2 min when on H2O. ( and im not talking of just any cheap H2O setup, it has to be done right, so make sure you do your research) The looks of this system also get the oooohh's and aaaahh's it deserves, and water cooling also plays its part in that as well. I will leave it at that, I am being humble here ppl.

As you can see below I put alot of $ and research through these forums (thank you [H]) and others towards this upgrade.
I am certainly :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D of my new system.

i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz (18 x 200) [email protected]
*Water cooled W/Danger Den Nahalem block\D5 Pump\2x120 Rad\1/2" tubing\AS5
*idle 38c - 1hr full load 68c ,but cools instantly once load stopped
*does run stable @ 4Ghz 1.30vcore, but I like to keep voltage down
*Batch #3839A606
Asus P6T Deluxe (BIOS v1206)
Patriot Viper DDR3-12800 6GB ( 3 x 2) @ DDR 1600
eVGA GTX 285 SSC ( hooked up to 24" HP(primary) and 50" Plasma & 1000w receiver via HDMI)
Haugpauge HVR-1800 TV tuner PCIe x4(keeps me from missing any shows this system distracts me from;))
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W PSU (had a zalman 850, but only lasted 1 week..:eek:is what I get for skimping on my homework)
WD VelociRaptor 300MB running Vista x64
WD Raptor 150MB for Games (also running Win7 testing)
8TB total various other SATA HDD's(2x 1.5TB Seagates in Raid0, 2x 1TB Maxtors in Raid0, 1TB Seagate, and hot swapable bay w/1 TB seagate or 1of2 500GB Maxtors)
DangerDen Water Box Plus case

Nice setup you have and congrats on the new system! :cool:

**Update**

I decided to push on to 4.0ghz at only @1.25 vcore and its rock stable (prime 10 hours) but man o man the temps were out the roof approaching 100c!!!!! I decided to take off my water block and inspect the IHS on the CPU and what do you know... the surface is very uneven.

So I have bought some 400/600 grid wet sandpaper and will be lapping tonight. I’m gonna also lap my water block. Hopefully this will fix my high temps problem. I will let you guys know how it goes! This will be my first time lapping but from my research it looks pretty cut and dry.

There goes my warranty!

As you can see below I put alot of $ and research through these forums (thank you [H]) and others towards this upgrade.
I am certainly :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D of my new system.

i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz (18 x 200) [email protected]
*Water cooled W/Danger Den Nahalem block\D5 Pump\2x120 Rad\1/2" tubing\AS5
*idle 38c - 1hr full load 68c ,but cools instantly once load stopped
*does run stable @ 4Ghz 1.30vcore, but I like to keep voltage down
*Batch #3839A606
Asus P6T Deluxe (BIOS v1206)
Patriot Viper DDR3-12800 6GB ( 3 x 2) @ DDR 1600
eVGA GTX 285 SSC ( hooked up to 24" HP(primary) and 50" Plasma & 1000w receiver via HDMI)
Haugpauge HVR-1800 TV tuner PCIe x4(keeps me from missing any shows this system distracts me from;))
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W PSU (had a zalman 850, but only lasted 1 week..:eek:is what I get for skimping on my homework)
WD VelociRaptor 300MB running Vista x64
WD Raptor 150MB for Games (also running Win7 testing)
8TB total various other SATA HDD's(2x 1.5TB Seagates in Raid0, 2x 1TB Maxtors in Raid0, 1TB Seagate, and hot swapable bay w/1 TB seagate or 1of2 500GB Maxtors)
DangerDen Water Box Plus case

Yes, very nice setup. However 18 x 200 gives you a speed of 3.8Ghz. Typo?

I hope your lapping helps, my i7 load temps are in the low to mid 70's across the cores in a 24c ambient, idles at 40c, and returns to idle temps in <1 min. This is at 1.29 vcore (CPUID) and a CoolerMaster V8. Your temps seem high, are your rads 120mmX120mm ? The other poster is using a 120mmX 360mm and a 120mmX 240mm rads. I'm not trying to be a prick, just giving you a point of reference.

Don't you just love the feeling you get when you check the UPS Tracking service and you see:

OUT FOR DELIVERY

:D:D:D

I hope your lapping helps, my i7 load temps are in the low to mid 70's across the cores in a 24c ambient, idles at 40c, and returns to idle temps in <1 min. This is at 1.29 vcore (CPUID) and a CoolerMaster V8. Your temps seem high, are your rads 120mmX120mm ? The other poster is using a 120mmX 360mm and a 120mmX 240mm rads. I'm not trying to be a prick, just giving you a point of reference.

Lol, I have the same cpu, same volts, and same cooler and i don't idle at 40c and my temps are in the high 70's low 80's if i prime for too long. I think you are smoking. What cpu speed are you running?

Well I lapped both CPU and water block last night and I must say it made a HUGE difference.

Before lapping @ 4.0gigs I was idling between 51-58c and load was 100c at all cores with only 2.5vcore, QPI/Dram 1.3 and PPL 182.

Now I'm idling at 46, 42, 46, 41 and load 86, 85, 83, 80. So its obviously that my IHS was severally uneven. I will post some screens shots when I have time.

Lol, I have the same cpu, same volts, and same cooler and i don't idle at 40c and my temps are in the high 70's low 80's if i prime for too long. I think you are smoking. What cpu speed are you running?

Think as you like ! currently at 3.8 HT on 35/38/38/41, turn off HT = 4.0 at same temps, 4.0 w/HT adds another 10c under load. It's either the case (coolermaster 590), the fan set-up in the case, ambient temps, or a different batch of cpu's.

Edit: to be thorough, that's with the power savings and speed step off, real temp 2.9, and a 24c ambient at the moment, default TIM as supplied with the heatsink.

Think as you like ! currently at 3.8 HT on 35/38/38/41, turn off HT = 4.0 at same temps, 4.0 w/HT adds another 10c under load. It's either the case (coolermaster 590), the fan set-up in the case, ambient temps, or a different batch of cpu's.

Temps sound about right to me with HT off at 4.0. After lapping at 3.8 and HT on, my temps are just a bit higher then yours. But at 4.0 is where I was having a problem with temps. But now its much better so I'm good for now. My proc would be amazing if it would just stay cool. I can boot into windows @ 4.2 with 2.5vcore but running prime my temp are in 90's even after lapping. Oh well I'm gonna just settle for 4.0. Thats still a 50% OC :p.

And BTW I never turn HT off and don't understand why people with the i7 do. But thats a whole nother topic i don't really care to get into. :eek:

I'm still going to recheck my mounting of the H/S, I would like to reduce the delta between the coolest and hottest core. I had tried my original cpu under the same test, had 5c higher load temps, and couldn't touch 4.0 w/HT with that chip.

Yes, this is a 3837A908, the other was a 3839A459 which was sold to a non-overclocker at work. So it cost less than $80 to switch cpu's and try another.

I love my i7. I'm not home much so it doesn't get used much as I wish it would, but its blazingly fast for any development/rendering work I throw at it. Definitely worth the money. I do notice the IHS is very uneven though... I need to lap it and get my temps down. I load at around 75C on Water...

Yes, very nice setup. However 18 x 200 gives you a speed of 3.8Ghz. Typo?

Ooops.....yep you are correct...typo...its 19 x 200.

running @ 4Ghz stable now 20 x 200 @ 1.30vcore ...idle 42c load 73c....but I still prefer it at 3.8Ghz....now stable @ 1.13vcore.

but of course room temp does affect these temps.......seen it as low as 31c

Waiting for waterblock for the GTX285 . bought a GTX280 (DD Tieton) block but returned as I discovered it does not fit the 285...for now rivatuner controlling fan speeds on card, not too loud. But then again concerned about throwing a GPU block into the mix as it may raise the CPU temps, these 285's run hot.

Water is not a huge diff as far as idle temps......but this system is in our living room, so silence is the major benefit here.

Ooops.....yep you are correct...typo...its 19 x 200.

running @ 4Ghz stable now 20 x 200 @ 1.30vcore ...idle 42c load 73c....but I still prefer it at 3.8Ghz....now stable @ 1.13vcore.

but of course room temp does affect these temps.......seen it as low as 31c

Waiting for waterblock for the GTX285 . bought a GTX280 (DD Tieton) block but returned as I discovered it does not fit the 285...for now rivatuner controlling fan speeds on card, not too loud. But then again concerned about throwing a GPU block into the mix as it may raise the CPU temps, these 285's run hot.

Water is not a huge diff as far as idle temps......but this system is in our living room, so silence is the major benefit here.
silence? unless your using a passive water cooler setup, sound difference will still be the same assuming your rad fits two 120mm fans, if its less then that then it will be same sound has my pc with one 120m on my TRUE

silence? unless your using a passive water cooler setup, sound difference will still be the same assuming your rad fits two 120mm fans, if its less then that then it will be same sound has my pc with one 120m on my TRUE

Is my fault, 'silence' was the wrong word for me to use. Its not silent, but fairly quite. rad does have two 120mm fans, 140mm fan on TT 1200w power supply, and asus fan on MB northbridge (one supplied with MB). But it is still very quite, not really noticeable unless right next to it.

You do have a good point, same amount of noise with the TRUE, but do feel water does remove the heat from the overall system quicker and more efficiently.

But what I am trying to decide is if I should put a waterblock on the GPU for an even quiter PC or if this would be worth it as it will definitely affect cpu temps with it in the same loop. Too much wattage for a 2x120 rad to really handle. The only way to do this without affecting the CPU temp would be to add another rad, which means two more fans. Kind of like chasing a tail here, no easy way around the heat the systems today produce until technology in cooling advances or lower wattage cpu's. and gpu's are produced. This thing pulls as much power as the household refridgerator, so maybe they will start producing mini refridgerator cases for computers...LOL:cool: Now im just really not aticipating my power bill this month:confused:

On the GTX285, while gaming the fan goes up to 90% duty cycle and then then noise is much more noticeable, but during idle it runs 50% duty cycle where it cant be heard that well. This is where putting a waterblock on the GTX285 will help as two 120mm fans are much quieter than the stock fan of these nVidia cards.

What is also important is the looks of this system as well. My system was using water cooling before upgrading, so I decided to stay with it. So I just bought a new cpu block, but lost the use of the VGA block I had on the 8800GTS 512 before the upgrade.

This is a very expensive hobby, something I have done since the 286 proccessors....lol....I've even still got a couple 286's hanging around.......I remember when commodor 64's were great , and when I was able to upgrade it with a external 360Kb floppy.....lol.....but at least the C64 was silent :D :rolleyes:

but...back on topic here.....

I love my new i7 system :)

But then again concerned about throwing a GPU block into the mix as it may raise the CPU temps, these 285's run hot.

I have my 4870 X2 with the EK block in the loop with my CPU. I've noticed when the cpu is at load, it does raise the GPU temps about 5-10 degrees, but not the same the other way around.

I too have my computer in the living room and was extremely happy with the lowered noise resulting from having the X2 on water. Huge before and after difference.

I've Decided...........

Going to get a GPU water block........

Updated Pic.......Will post final pics when finished.

.__480_359_PC1.JPG

.__480_359_PC5.JPG

Last edited:
My system is running great so far, one GPU replacement but no other problems, and Sisoft Sandra reckons with the BIOS on turbo mode, the CPU is rated as a 3.2GHz

DSCF1159.jpg

DSCF1160-1.jpg

DSCF1153.jpg

DSCF1156-1.jpg

DSCF1158.jpg

is the i7 worth it? Anybody?

Kind of a silly question really, course it is...it's miles better than my old 2600+, and I should be quite happy for the next 3-5 years.

is the i7 worth it? Anybody?

What a silly question in a thread titled "Love your i7 920". If the title didn't clue you in, yes, most if not all of us love our i7's. If you say you love your chip, it was likely a worthwhile upgrade.

Just ordered one of these babies.
Cant wait til it gets in.

I was about an inch away from ordering the Phemon2 x3 720BE until it dawned upon me that it is inferior to an i7 chip and literally miles behind in performance. It was pointless to waste money on it.

My i7 should be here promptly on thrusday and I am already starting to love it.

(first time Intel'er) :p

Just ordered one of these babies.
Cant wait til it gets in.

I was about an inch away from ordering the Phemon2 x3 720BE until it dawned upon me that it is inferior to an i7 chip and literally miles behind in performance. It was pointless to waste money on it.

My i7 should be here promptly on thrusday and I am already starting to love it.

(first time Intel'er) :p

Welcome to the dark side Ron ..... mwuah ha ha ha ha ...... lol Just kidding.;)
You will love that CPU. I was an AMD user for many years. When Core 2 came along AMD had nothing to offer me for an upgrade path so I left for Intel. It's been one helluva ride. Nothing against nVidia for AMD chipsets but Intels chipsets are so much more stable.

This Ci7 920 is freaking fast, I love mine. :D

A bit OT but following my last post and after working with both ASUS and eVGA tech support I ended up doing an RMA on my GTX285 for refund and bought a replacement card same for $80 cheaper on a weenkend promo with a rebate of an additional $20...smoking deal.

But I did run prime95 to help find my problems... I shut it down after 89c on reading via probe it 45 mins into the test... evne though all cores were at 100% I was still running a couple of apps... just amazing.

I noticed that too,with the [email protected] running occt would make doing anything else in windows very sluggish,with I7 did some web browsing while doing the occt
I want to change out my old 36G raptor raid0 array next,gotta decide on the ssd's or some more raptors

Well I lapped both CPU and water block last night and I must say it made a HUGE difference.

Before lapping @ 4.0gigs I was idling between 51-58c and load was 100c at all cores with only 2.5vcore, QPI/Dram 1.3 and PPL 182.

Now I'm idling at 46, 42, 46, 41 and load 86, 85, 83, 80. So its obviously that my IHS was severally uneven. I will post some screens shots when I have time.

i get better on air 3.9 (1.3vcore)

i dont understand how you can have a lower vcore and have higher temps. How hot is your room? lol

2.5 vcore, typo?

what stepping do you have?

Ok. Here's what it says:

"Ooops! The article you requested could not be found, please navigate our site to locate the article you requested"

That simple enough for ya?? Haha, jk! :p

I believe with unlocked memory multiplier and QPI you unlock a whole slew of performance possibilities, depending on your skill/persistence as an overclocker/tweaker and how good of quality your hardware samples are. But with these things unlocked you basically have less limitations on how hard you can push your hardware. Here's Tech ARP's take on it as well, referring specifically to the unlocked memory multiplier: "This gives overclockers much greater flexibility. It also allows you to circumvent the 2-bin limit when the Intel Turbo Mode Technology kicks in." Originally only the higher end i7's had this unlocked. The 920's had limits. The EVGA x58 board, with it's original BIOS had some memory limitations, but now with updated BIOS it's performing on par with all top x58 boards now, taking advantage of the unlocked multi's to find your best performance. The only limit is how good your memory and the i7's integrated controller are. As for the QPI, "...Huh? To make matters worse, while mucking with our retail Core i7-920, we discovered that our QPI speeds were also unlocked. We could set it to 6.4GT/s all day. Our back channel contact tells us that after some digging, it was discovered that yes, that&#8217;s the way it's supposed to be. QPI is supposed to be 4.8GT/s but you can run at it 6.4GT if you want. Wha, what? But two months ago, Intel insisted that QPI was locked. Now we're told that QPI is unlocked. Confused? We are." That was from Maximum PC hardware website. So rather than be stuck at 4.8GT/s you can crank your 920 all the way up to the 6.4GT/s.

This just unlocks more potential from both your chip and your memory. It's very uncharacteristic for Intel to do this on the "lower end" of their top processors. Good for them, I say! This is really a treat for us extreme users that are still on a budget.

Hopefully that helps!

Last edited:
Was debating between a Core2Quad setup or Core i7. I shelled out the extra couple benjamins and went with Core i7 for more upgrade options in the future. I'm quite the happy camper. But then again, I am coming from a AMD 64 3700+, 2GB Ram, 7800 GTX.

I came from a Pentium 4 desktop...you can guess where this is going.

i get better on air 3.9 (1.3vcore)

i dont understand how you can have a lower vcore and have higher temps. How hot is your room? lol

2.5 vcore, typo?

what stepping do you have?

The speed is what makes all the heat, you can run a higher voltage at a rated speed and the temp will just go up 2C or 3C, up the speed witht he same voltage and the temperatures skyrockets.

Back