Loud Static Hiss from Speakers

Miburo

n00b
System Dell i7 Studio XPS
Onboard Sound
Klipsch Promedia 5.1
Vista 64 sp1

Ok so this is the second time it's happened. All the sudden my speakers sub etc let out pretty loud static / hissing for no apparent reason. The static's volume is not affected at all by the volume and the static will happen even if i have the speakers unplugged from the sub (the static comes out of the sub too)

About 3 months ago there was a lot of roofing work done in my neighborhood and my house. This happened before around that time so I thought it was either my speakers were fuxor'd or it was the construction. A month later I tried them again and they worked perfectly...

And all of the sudden 2 days ago it starts again...

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? I've even tried just taking the sub downstairs and plugging it in and I still hear static.

They are pretty old :X

But I love them!

Like I said before I thought they were shot but when I tried them out after the workers left they were fine.

And even now when i'm listening to music if I were to filter out the static sound it sounds perfect.

Miburo, do you have a cell phone? You might be getting interference from cell phones doing network connection scans. That could explain why you heard static when there were construction workers... and why you would get static even if the speakers were powered but not playing music.

If you have a cell phone or know someone with one, set it down next to the speakers and wait for it to try to connect to a cell tower nearby or even try to make a phone call. See if thats it.

If this results as I expect, it just points to poorly shielded speakers (or very strong cell phones). Just keep your cell phone as far away from them as possible and it may prevent the static.

Try it with a different audio source, consider a ground-loop (depending on your setup), check that you didn't put the speaker wires next to any power or data cables which may be injecting interference.

Can you detect any kind of pattern to the hissing, or is it constant?

Miburo, do you have a cell phone? You might be getting interference from cell phones doing network connection scans. That could explain why you heard static when there were construction workers... and why you would get static even if the speakers were powered but not playing music.

If you have a cell phone or know someone with one, set it down next to the speakers and wait for it to try to connect to a cell tower nearby or even try to make a phone call. See if thats it.

If this results as I expect, it just points to poorly shielded speakers (or very strong cell phones). Just keep your cell phone as far away from them as possible and it may prevent the static.

I have the Klipsch Promedia GMX-A 2.1s and they do this, relating to cell phones. I just keep mine farther away. Magnetically, they're very well shielded. Electrically, not so much.

It's constant where it's not affected if it turn the volume up or down. I tried turning off my cellphone. The static also comes out of my sub.

This is a common problem with the ProMedia 5.1's. I have the same speakers, except mine buzz from all channels except the center.

I'm replacing them with some high quality bookshelf speakers later this week.

Back