Lots of problems =\

DF-1

2[H]4U
Hello everyone. I've gotten a virus on my computer recently, a very very advanced one I might add (attached itself to almost all my exe's). It really messed with my system.

I disconnected my secondary hard drive as I didn't want to damage it as I was trying to fix it.

I got rid of the virus and connected my 2nd hard drive and got a BSOD of 0x0000007b.

googled as usual, ran chkdsk /f sfc /scannow and error checking. they said the drive is fine.

it DOES boot in safe mode, but I cant access any of the files, but I know for a fact they're still 100% there because of the space on the drive, and because of the anti virus I ran on it.

When I clicked to open the drive it gave me an error saying E:\ Application not found

How do I fix my problems? I just want it to boot regularly and have my system back =/ I miss BF3!

hey n00b

You're in the wrong forum

Should've got a Mac

But since you didn't, you need to do a clean install of your OS and restore from backups

No backups you say? Download all your music and movies again

You may think that there is a way to save your existing OS install

But there isn't

That was almost a helpful response.......

In order to save your data, you should create a linux live CD and boot off that. You can then transfer your data to another drive. Be sure not to move any EXE files since you stated they were infected.

There MIGHT be a way to recover your existing OS, but the knowledge and labor needed as well as the uncertainty of successful virus eradication makes this a futile effort. It is best to do a clean OS install. After you do a clean install of the OS, make sure you have anti-virus set up (recommend Microsoft Security Essentials) and fully updated and your OS fully patched. Any files you copy back to that system should be treated with a level of suspicion. Viruses can embed in docs and even media.

Others might be able to give you some other ideas / opinions. Good Luck.

I should mention that my PC is totally useable now. removed every trace of the virus. am typing this from the PC, but still just cant get the 2nd HDD to boot up properly with it.

just really want the data.

Don't trust that your system is totally clean after such a nasty infection, it's not worth it. Reinstall Windows without your inaccessible data drive connected.

Then do what fields_g said and make a Linux Live CD you can boot off of to try copying your data to a folder on the freshly installed Windows drive. Boot into Windows as a non-admin, use RunAs to run your AV program as an admin, and scan the shit out of that folder, just to be sure. Do a complete partition kill/reformat on that data drive after you're sure you've gotten all data off it.

Stop using an account with admin level for day to day stuff, especially web surfing! Learn how to use RunAs.

somehow I just booted in safe mode and I can access my HDD! all my folders were hidden though. all the files are fine(even installed a program to C:\ that i had on E:\). but I still can't boot non-safe mode.

Im thinking of running lots and lots of more anti viruses, buying a 2TB hard drive, copying everything over and starting on a fresh install with all my data.

just wish it would work normally, with all the insane price hikes in HDDs o_O

Don't trust that your system is totally clean after such a nasty infection, it's not worth it. Reinstall Windows without your inaccessible data drive connected.

Then do what fields_g said and make a Linux Live CD you can boot off of to try copying your data to a folder on the freshly installed Windows drive. Boot into Windows as a non-admin, use RunAs to run your AV program as an admin, and scan the shit out of that folder, just to be sure. Do a complete partition kill/reformat on that data drive after you're sure you've gotten all data off it.

Stop using an account with admin level for day to day stuff, especially web surfing! Learn how to use RunAs.

Sage advice. I couldn't have said it better myself. :cool:

Should've got a Mac
LOL at the thought of BF3 on a Mac, good times! :D

Back