LOTRO vs EQ2

keefusm

Limp Gawd
Well, I am beginning to get that MMO bug again. I own LOTRO. Purchased it and played it for a month and stopped. However I have yet to play EQ2. I hear it is greatly improved as of late. However, is it too late to get in on it? I've already been through the wow gamut, and when I was much younger I was an EQ addict. So from anyone who has played both - which one should I pick up? LOTRO? or EQ2?

Loads of new people just started EQ2 with the release of Rise of Kunark, it's not at all too late to get into and is a great game.

As said get the Rise of Kunark pack, it contains everything that has been released so far.

I haven't played EQ2, but I have heard that it will pretty much will suck you in. I bought LOTRO when it came out and only got to lvl 7 to abandon it for WoW few months back. Well, I have recently renewed my subscription and got me a lvl17 hunter now. I have been having a blast in the game 9.3/10 IMO for me, somewhat casual and VERY fun and challenging. Graphics are top notch too.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for out of the game, if you want to get addicted, go with EQ2 :)

I started playing EQ2 back in August. It is an awsome game, a blast to play and gorgeous graphics to boot if your system is powerful enough. I just yesterday picked up Rise of Kunark for 40 bucks as I originally got the game in Digital download and wanted to have discs to install from. It will suck you in. :D

If you can wait... the next mmo of our generation is around the corner... Age of Conan ... but considering this season, you should already have plenty games to occupy you till it comes out in March :p

Well I decided on EQ2. Purchased the game, installed it, and then I was on my way to subscribing. Went to sign up for the subscription and I get this:
ERROR!

We have encountered a system error while processing your request.

Please try again later.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

If you continue to encounter this error, please contact Customer Service at http://support.station.sony.com

Of course support is closed. I think I am going to take the game outside and burn it. Stuff like this just makes me entirely way too angry. Blah.. Guess they won't be getting my money.

Don't let what is either a browser issue (try a different one) or a temporary website issue put you off the game,

Have you tried again since?

I've tried about 80 million times with most browsers available and different cards. Even tried to make another account and use the trial and I cannot even do that. Quite ridiculous. Plop down 40 bucks for a game you cannot even play due to their negligence.I am just mailing them the copy back with a nice letter requesting my money back. I don't even want to see the game for the fact they cannot even keep their billing servers up. If they can't do something as simple as that, I am afraid to see how they actually run their gaming community.

Edit 1: I even tried downloading their "Station Launcher" Doesn't work either. What a joke.

I can understand your frustration but it is the weekend, if there has been an issue it probably won't get sorted until Monday when their web teams get back into work.

I've tried about 80 million times with most browsers available and different cards.

Tbh, I think you're just trying too hard and letting all your effort build up unnecessary frustration. Just wait until Monday for them to sort things out.

Obviously your choice of course. Just think you're giving up on a great game over a temporary glitch in a system you'll only deal with once and I've never seen a problem with.

The trial worked fine for me this weekend, made a new account and everything. Sorry you had trouble.

12:34 AM and still not working. I even went back to Best Buy and Circuit City to see if they had any game cards. (Maybe that would've worked) They were all out. I started messing with the update account options - it seems you cannot even update your account info without getting an error. I am astonished that something this large would be let alone for the entire weekend. (Bet it will not be fixed until Monday as prev. stated)
Then came my second mistake. Since they had no game cards - I purchased UT3. I've never played the UT series before. Lets just say I hope EQ2 is good, because that game is down right terrible. This weekend has been such a wash...

12:34 AM and still not working. I even went back to Best Buy and Circuit City to see if they had any game cards. (Maybe that would've worked) They were all out. I started messing with the update account options - it seems you cannot even update your account info without getting an error. I am astonished that something this large would be let alone for the entire weekend. (Bet it will not be fixed until Monday as prev. stated)
Then came my second mistake. Since they had no game cards - I purchased UT3. I've never played the UT series before. Lets just say I hope EQ2 is good, because that game is down right terrible. This weekend has been such a wash...

:( You're not having a good weekend, it's not just you though...

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=395531

Seems a bit odd as you need an active sub to even post on the official forums, did you get as far as creating account name/password stuff?

If I were you I'd rest assured that they will fix this error ASAP since so many people are getting it. I DO feel bad for you, so don't get me wrong. I've had game-ruts like that myself. Best thing to do is just hold out.

ASAP means as soon as possible. Not "On Monday". They should have people monitoring servers/issues like this 24x7. You know it - and I know it. Frankly, I think I am going to take a dump in the box and ship it to Sony. Maybe they will get the point.

I don't feel 'too' bad for you, since eq2 and ut3 both have trials/demos. ;)

Well apparently the trial did not work for me either. (EQ2). It seems you cannot play the game whatsoever this weekend if you are a new subscriber..

ASAP means as soon as possible. Not "On Monday". They should have people monitoring servers/issues like this 24x7. You know it - and I know it. Frankly, I think I am going to take a dump in the box and ship it to Sony. Maybe they will get the point.

I know what ASAP means, and what I'm trying to get across is that you should wait until monday (likely long before the world ends, therefore giving you sufficient time to enjoy the game) which is the soonest possible time at which the issue should be resolved.

I'm not going to deny that I'd be angry about it - I think it's ridiculous as well - but I learned long ago that no company has a perfect record of being 100% on-task on even the most seemingly crucial aspects of their business. That is why you just need to hold onto that EQ2 fort you built around your computer and wait ;) I don't think that this is such an outrage that EQ2 would deserve as much bashing as you're giving it (even Sony for that matter).

I was going to wait. I gave in though.

lotro.jpg

You may be right. Unfortunately patience was removed from my character when I was in the service.

I simply feel like shooting myself in the face. LOTRO almost completes patching - guess what miraculously starts working? yea you guessed it..

I got LOTRO this weekend while I was at work ... hey, it was 10 bucks :)

And I have been pretty happy with it so far, only got a few hours and a few levels in , but really having fun.

Own Eq2 here and have gone back and forth to it, but never really stay too long :(

I got LOTRO this friday too for $10, and I can honestly say I am enjoying it quite a bit. I played the game back during Beta, but its definitely much better now that it was before.

Yea I got my subscription re-activated couple of weeks ago, awesome game, love it ;) really fits my casual style of gaming, now only f DX10 ran better :(

Is that Pirates of the Burning Sea any good or has no one here played it?

I heard it was alright, I signed up for the beta, was too lazy to dload the client :(.
Personally, Sea Dogs was one of the best games I have ever played, if this turns out to be anything like that, I would be all over it.

I played EQ2 from launch up until a couple months ago. Very entertaining game, but after almost 3 years, got a little tiring. Plus, the pvp servers were getting absurd with the cheating and exploiting. Tried LOTRO for a month+ afterwards, was a fun game, especially if you like the lore, but just not the type of mmo I'm into. But in my opinion, it was very well done. So that leaves me playing RTS's and FPS's until Warhammer. I'm in Beta and I really can't wait for launch.

I'm in the beta right now, but can't say too much since we're under NDA. Suffice to say its pretty fun, but it can often be rather slow. Combat is slow bc its quite realistic.

Don't think I said anything specific so I should still be okay by the NDA 0o.

I'm still with LOTRO. The populations seem to be increasing on after a lulling period toward the end of the summer.

The PvP has gotten good since they introduced fellowship/war band maneuvers and took out the Troll/Ranger session play. :D

-Brandywine
Black Orchid

Back