Lost Word 2007 file Need Help Locating file.

mlightsey

Gawd
I emailed a 2003 word document from my work email address. I emailed it to my civilian email address. I opened up the file from my civilian email address and started to work on it. I hit the saved multiple times in Word 2007. I left the file open over night. I realized I didn't save it under "My Documents". I then used the "Save As" and saved it under "My documents" Then I went under "My Documents" to find the file was not there.

I used the searched assistant and went under advance to show all hidden documents. Then I went under each drive to look for it, but to no avail could not find it. I also looked under the temp folder also.

Any suggestions or help. This document is a transcript to a court case and I do not want to start over.

If you've opened it from Outlook say, and worked on it and just clicked save, it tends to save the file to a folder under Temporary Internet Files. You'd need to uncheck 'hide protected operating system files' in Folder Options to see this.

I deal with this weekly. People are always losing files - either because Word crashed or the laptop battery died, etc.

What I suggest is they use the Search feature on C: and goto the advanced options and search for every file that has been modified in the approximate time range they were working.

It'll turn up a bunch of junk files, but you can sort the results by size, time, date, type, etc to narrow it down.

Almost always returns the right stuff.

Back