• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Lost space...

extreme4377

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
372
Well I popped my 160GB IDE drive into my system tonight and formatted using WinXP Pro disc and NTFS but it showed up as 125GB w/25GB of used space. I knew it was wrong because I had just formatted and only installed XP so I formatted using NTFS again and now I only have 127GB and still some used space thats unaccounted for. Whats the deal? The drive worked perfectly in the external casing but when I pop it inside the case, it bugs out.

Ive tried different cables, different jumper settings, different IDE ports on the mobo. Whats up?

Thanks!
 
Is your WinXP disk the orginal rev or have you slippedstreamed SP2 into it?

I think that the orginal release wouldn't pass the 137GB barrier - I could be wrong though.

 
Go ahead and install windows and then go into Disk Manager and partition that extra space when you are done installing windows.
 
rodsfree said:
Is your WinXP disk the orginal rev or have you slippedstreamed SP2 into it?

I think that the orginal release wouldn't pass the 137GB barrier - I could be wrong though.
Yep, you need SP1 or higher to get back your free space
 
I slipstreamed SP2 into my XP install and its all there, thanks guys. Sorry for being a dumby
 
You are not a dumby! We were all there at one time. Stay with use and you will learn a whole lot more.
 
Back
Top