Losing network in WinXP Pro

Bird222

[H]ard|Gawd
I hope someone can help me with this. Occasionally (every few days or so), I will lose the ability to web browse. All pages will say 'page cannot be displayed'. I have tried 'ipconfig release and renew' and I DO get an IP address assigned to me from my router. What is wierd though is I can't ping the router. All packets timeout. I have no viruses. I run Ad-Aware and Spybot and clear out anything that they find and still can't browse. The only thing that seems to 'cure' this is a reboot. I usuall keep my computer running constantly. I am using DSL as my internet connection with a linksys router. It just seems that after awhile XP networking info just craps out.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Are there long periods of non activity? If I don't have any traffic on my network for a while I have to reset the router (Unplug it and plug it up again). Your router might have a reset button on the back also.

I have this exact same bug.

It happens when I try to send an email using Eudora 6, happens only when I reply to an email and not when I send a new email. I did not have this problem with Eudora 5. The email will hang at anything between 90-99% sent and my LAN/WAN connection dies. Only thing that cures it is a reboot.

I have checked and rechecked my laptop (HP/Compaq nx7000) and nothing seems broken. I can go weeks without experiencing this bug, but as soon as I reply to one email there is a chance it will hang.

I suspect it might be a Eudora bug, but several email to Eudora support have returned no replies.

Bird222: Are you using Eudora at all?

No, I am using Outlook. There are long periods of inactivity. If I reboot my computer (not router) everything will work again.

go into your network prop. and make sure that under i'm at work i can't remember the screen that you don't have checked let my computer save power by shutting down this device i had that problem and this fixed it.

I hope this helps

It should. It's the only thing I could think of. I've never heard of a NIC idling just shut down.

-J.

Could be bad drivers, S1nF1xx, always reload the drivers before going down the failed hardware route.

Then there is my golden rule of software... Almost all failures are software related.

The[H]uman said:
go into your network prop. and make sure that under i'm at work i can't remember the screen that you don't have checked let my computer save power by shutting down this device i had that problem and this fixed it.

I hope this helps

For me thats not it. I mean it just cuts off during an email send. No idling going on. Besides I sometimes leave my aptop idle for 24 hours and come back without trouble. Just the dang email that kills it.

Have you flashed the firmware for your Router? My linksys had a similar problem, until I flashed the router.

Cheers,

Has happened with 7-8 totally unrelated routers (in 3 countries no less). Happens over the wifi card as well as the LAN card.
I'm beginning to believe that Eudora has the problem... but then again... who knows?

My two cents, I've seen this several times when a NIC is bad. Sometimes the port just gets a short from plugging/unplugging a lot over time. Next time it goes down rattle your network cable right where its plugged in and see if it comes right back...

Edit: DOH didn't see where you said it happens with the Wifi card as well. Maybe that happens for other reasons, like wifi interference?

Back