losing my mind...? ahci xp driver for intel dz77sl-50k

nightfly

2[H]4U
I've been going round in circles for days, searching google for this info. I cannot install xp onto my computer until I somehow either slipstream the ahci drivers onto the installation disk, or put them into a usb etc.. Of course, the drivers don't really exist anywhere, intel puts everything into an exe file which does not seem to contain anything identifiable. Trying to dig into the exe file with unzippers shows nothing. There are 94 various inf files on the MB driver disk, but of course there's no way to know which if any of those are ahci drivers, because of course none are named ahci. All the hits I get on google tell me either: 1. to install the ahci drivers after installing the OS, which won't work, or 2. how to slipstream the drivers onto the installation disk or put them onto a usb, which won't work since I don't know what the file names of the drivers are! During installation, trying to run the exe file when it asks to hit f6 doesn't work. Running the downloaded driver file on a windows machine with older xp just goes through the installation process but doesn't tell me if or what it installed or where. Intel's download site only has executable files (which don't tell you what's in them), no driver files. The more I search, the more I find other people are stuck in this problem too. I've discussed it with other people who are supposedly knowledgable about computers, all just say to give up and use win 7, but there are certain things that won't run on win 7, and I need new hardware as my p3 machine simply does not have enough memory capacity to do much anymore. Help.

I use XP also for older programs. Your problem is easily solved. Here's the IRST 11.2.0.1006 pre-install driver you need ......https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21408

I assume you are using XP Pro 32 bit so download and extract the second one on the page. Now go to Nlite and download it. Take your XP disc and copy it to a new folder on your desktop.
Install and start the Nlite program and follow the directions. when it comes time to integrate the driver, point it to your extracted file and choose the iaAHCI file to load. It will show drivers for all of the available chipsets, highlight and integrate ALL OF THEM, the XP install will pick the one it needs.

Let me know if I can help further. You just need a blank DVR-R 4.7gb to burn the ISO disc with Nlite......http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

Last edited:
Got it! Thank you so much! I should have just come here sooner, but didn't want to bother anyone. It shouldn't be any problem from here, I've done stuff like this before, but will let you know if I have any problems. Can't figure out for the life of me why that never showed up on any of my other searches, other than maybe the colon at the end of the ahci word?
Does make me wonder, however, what the extra 12 megabytes are in the exe file on that download page, though, but it does explain why the distribution disks are so full of junk.

The extra 12 mb's in the.exe file is the actual IRST software that lets you check your HD status ect. you can install that if you want after you get up and running, but it's not necessary.
Also I too noticed that intel took down all the XP IRST drivers recently, so they are harder to find. If you are running your own built machine, your mobo manufacturer should still have XP F6 drivers.

It worked. I got a clean xp32 install. Then I went to install the intel hd4000 graphics, motherboard chipset, realtek sound drivers, intel ethernet drivers, and poof; quick splash of blue screen then blank screen and no video. So I'm back to a reinstall, then install the drivers one at a time to see what's screwing it all up; I think it's the intel hd4000 drivers, had problems with them with win7 too. But the achi drivers you pointed me to worked. Thanks again.

'Morning. I also got the xp64 drivers from the page you directed me to, and made an install disk with those which worked as well, but was falling asleep so had to snooze.
System? O.K, here's me:
Well, what I'm doing. It's something old, something new stuff; have a 13 year old Lian Li mid tower which I have yet to mod (used to hold a Tyan twin tualatin scsi u2 system build from back in 2001, ati TV tuner card). Now it's going to be this: From the bottom up, hardware: Silverstone 850 PS, one with all modular cables so I can use the short ones instead of filling the case with copper spaghetti, the Intel dz77sl 50k MB, 3770k proc, Antec 620 cooler, 16gb corsair mem, Galaxy gtx680 4gb video, Pioneer bluray r optical, three NEC 3550 dvdr's (connected to a startec ide pci card, works under win 7 sort of, we'll see for xp), (the stack to make dvd's 4 at a time and convert blu ray to dvd), avermedia HD capture card, also using plan on using hd fury with that, in the 3.5" drive bays I put two chenbro hotswap dual 2.5" sata bays which will house: 1 a system disk, win 7 enterprise, win xp, etc., right now it's a samsung 120 gb size 830 with win 7 on it, I installed xp and xp64 onto crucial 64 gb m4's. Next for programs I can use any of a couple of 120's, two 240 size, I have several different types (I buy them whenever a sale comes up, so it's assorted brands, crucial m120s, sandisk 240s, corsair gt? etc), a samsung plain 840 500 for all that hd capturing, and a small ssd for legacy swap file. I overprovisioned everything by about 20%; don't know if that will help, but it can't hurt? We'll see. Legacy HD's are attached to old adaptec 2940 u2wide card, they're three ibm 36gb drives with a 10gb one that held the system (which of course I had figured I'd just leave in there and slowly remove them as they died, but they're 10 years old and show no signs of dying, guess because I keep them cool) Of course, I didn't know that there are no win 7 drivers for the adaptec scsi card, so that was one reason I wanted xp available. I put a silverstone 4 usb3 port & speaker/headphone 3.5" thingy in the other 3.5" slot right under the ssd drive bays, the scsi array sits on the bottom front behind the fans, going to change the original twin 80's to one noctua 120, basically because they're dying and I think the 120 will be quieter and move more air at the same time. I'm using some honeywell black air prefilter stuff in front of the fans to keep dust out, have for years, and the inside of the case is still clean of dust (I just vacuum them off backwards every month while the system is off to keep the air flow clear). I had planned to use the onboard sound, simply because my hearing isn't all that great so hifi isn't necessary. Monitor on the desk is a viewsonic 24", but use my 50" tv for most use so I can put my feet up (really bad arthritis, so the knees feel better straight and up, keeps the swelling down). I still have my trusty IBM black m keyboards which means I like motherboards with a ps/2 port. However, I did find that a ziotech usb/ps/2 adapter works well with my other game machine that has an asus maximus iv gene motherboard, should you know anyone who needs one of those adapters that actually works for legacy keyboards. I use an ancient usb microsoft trackball, which seems to work just fine so far.
I'm using win 7 enterprise complimentary of an IT guy I knew at work years ago, years before I ever installed it, the old computers simply didn't have the stuff to run it; so far, it seems quite good, although all the security hoops we have to go through was a PITA until I got used to it.

I built this for my living room, for two new purposes: capture live tv in hd (I like to keep a copy of formula one races, for one thing), and play rise of flight. Years ago, I always bought lower end stuff, but got tired of having stuff not run right; so I thought this time I'd just eliminate one part of the equation, the hardware. This setup should let me play flight sims for a few years at least. I bought a g940 hotas with that in mind, and yes I checked it all out so I can fix all the little bugs logitech left in. Other than that, it's supposedly quite good; I had been using an ancient suncom eagle and throttle but they're gameport, and even though the manhattan usb/game port adapters worked, I still wanted rudder pedals.
I think that covers it all. Oh, and a canon printer/fax/scanner, can't remember the model off the top of my head but it's a laser, not inkjet, and it's connected via ethernet.
Connections are: verizon's actiontec router to a netgear gigabyte switch, buffalo air something-or-other n wireless. UPS's are both APC smart ups 1500s. And two netgear nasduo 2100's, I know I shouldn't use them as my backups, but I switch one of the drives out each month and keep them one offsite, and the older one comes back here. It's mostly for media, I do back up my documents to optical whenever I write something new that I don't want to lose.
Me, I got started in pc's back in '87 with a blazing fast Leading Edge brand xt compatible running dos 3. started building my own in 91. went to os/2 after the M$ dos 6 doublespace debacle, used that until win2000 came out (too busy at work to play games, and os/2 was rock solid for me). I switch slow, stayed with win2000 until about 2004 and stayed with xp until two years ago.
So, that's me. It won't all fit into a sig.

Back