Losing connection while playing games

Gabriel

2[H]4U
I've had COX cable for about a year now without problems, until last month that is, when I started getting connection problems when playing BF2(kicks me from game after 10-50 seconds on any server) and COD2 (I get the Connection Interrupted screen every few seconds and I freeze, and this happens in every server as well). I even went back to older games like half life 2 deathmatch and it is kicking me as well, so something is wrong here, but I don't know what! What is hapening as far as I know is that my ping will go up high all of the sudden frequently and come back down, but by the time it does, it is too late in a first person shooter.

I finally called COX yesterday and was on the phone for 30 minutes, and we did some tests over the phone including with the game server IPs, and I was getting 0% packet loss, so everything was perfect according to them.

I thought maybe my ethernet cable is defected so I switched it with one I was using for a router and the same thing happens.( I am not using a router ). I also unplug the modem and restart it after a minute regularly now.

I can stay online and browse the web (I notice that it is a little bit slower though, and sometimes I auto reconnect in Xfire because I lose connection temporarily), but when I download files there is a short pause sometimes, and then it will resume. :confused:

I run ad aware, search and destroy, AntiVirus regularly, and defrag.

It has gotten worse and worse until a few days ago when I finally quit playing online. :mad:
Can someone please help me out?
Thanks.

My teamspeak is showing a 80% packet loss, but sometimes it goes donw to 80, and it takes a long time to open videos and web sites. I cannot play online anymore. Any idea??? Thanks

Ethernet crapping out?

If you have an extra PCI Ethernet card, I would try that.

3 things

A. Replace your NIC (about 10 bucks)
B. replace/check your cat5 cables (about 10 too)
C. See if the modem is too hot, maybe crack it open and see if anything inside looks funny

Talonz said:
Ethernet crapping out?

If you have an extra PCI Ethernet card, I would try that.

What are the chances of the ethernet card going bad? I've had a ASUS A8N SLI motherboard nforce4 for a year now.

I have a question: does the orange light on the back of the ethernet card always have to be blinking? I ask because I notice that it only blinks sometimes and stays on (without blinking) the rest of the time, but I can't remember if it always used to blink even with the computer off or idle. Thanks

Back