Losing Connection After Several Hours

Skrying

2[H]4U
Whenever I'm playing a game or have been downloading a file for a long period of time (2+ hours) my connection will just go away. It doesnt do this when its simply sitting there or I'm just surfing the web.

Its RoadRunner cable with a Linksys USB Wireless Adapter that's joining another computer on a network. The other computer does not lose the connection whenever I do.

Does anyone have any clue as to what could be going on? Whenever it does this I have to force a reboot or the connection will not come back, I cant even restart the router or USB adapter and get the connection back, I must force the reboot.

Any help would be awesome.

Wireless tends to be very flaky... I had the same problem in the past and discovered it was another WAP in our house (put by someone else) running the same SSID on the same channel. Try changing the channel of broadcast and change your SSID. Maybe your pc is hopping on to this other network and thats where it's losing its connectivity. The other pc might not be in range ... That's a longshot but theres still the possibility. Maybe theres excessive radio noise in the room your pc is in? Someone using a cordless phone?

Do you still have network connectivity or just no activity? Is there an X on the network connection in the system tray or is it still blue but no lights flashing?

I have never had much luck with wireless being 100% stable. The fact that is a USB wireless card makes it even more suspect.

The USB wireless card was used on a old computer under the same conditions and it did lose its connection somtimes, but this was very rarly. On the new computer its at least once or twice a night when playing CS:S. And it seems to go out after 2 hours when transfering files.

I dont know if it is the comuputer or not. On this new computer it is pluged into a USB hub but I wouldnt think that'd effect the connection. It is also on XP Pro now when it was on XP Home on the old computer.

Skrying said:
The USB wireless card was used on a old computer under the same conditions and it did lose its connection somtimes, but this was very rarly. On the new computer its at least once or twice a night when playing CS:S. And it seems to go out after 2 hours when transfering files.

I dont know if it is the comuputer or not. On this new computer it is pluged into a USB hub but I wouldnt think that'd effect the connection. It is also on XP Pro now when it was on XP Home on the old computer.

The USB Hub is most likely what's causing the interference. Some peripherals won't work at all if going through them. Try hooking it into your onboard USB and maybe put your keyboard on the HUB and try that out.

Well, after a bit of testing on a USB port directly into the computer it still loses the connection, just not as often now. I'm sill confused as to why it does it when it didnt do this on the old computer. They were both in the same location, same drivers, etc..

Back