lopoetve: need your help sir!

defuseme2k

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, I know you're some sort of storage nerd at VMware.. :)

We have an HDS USP V. We're looking at whether or not we want to move to round robin as the PSP...

I cannot find any hitachi documentation for the USP V in particular. VMware's compatibility guide shows "FIXED", but I'm really not inclined to trust that as being a "recommendation", I would rather see vendor specific recommendations/best practices. I'm the VMware guy, so it is hard for me to get in touch with storage vendors ...

Last edited:
I also think it BS that documentation like this is so hard to find. I mean after the amount of $$ spent to get one of their top array's....... I can tell you we are using RR on our USP-V(not-VM). The one issue we seem to run into with the HDS arrays is the maximum number of commands per LUN. Seems to produce a lower number of VM per LUN than may otherwise be necessary.

Agreed. I did email Simon Long of the "SLOG" fame. He's apparently a VMware employee in the UK. He was able to contact HDS for me, and they gave me a cut out of their 'draft' best practices document for the USP-V. It was a one page document covering round robin recommendations, but it served the purpsoses I needed (going to the storage team) to get my way...

I called BS on the storage team telling me Hitachi recommended against it with VMware (vSphere -- all because their BP doc for VI3 was to use FIXED), because HP's storageworks XP24000 is the same array. Their best practices document is rather clear that you should use it unless you have a reason not to, like virtual MSCS nodes, etc.

Back