• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Loose connection on PSU Cable?

kamxam

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
2,038
I am in the process of building my new system and everything has been going fine except that if touch or push the motherboard power cable it will shut off the system or cause it to turn off and on constantly.
If i position the cable right it will stay on and run with no problems as long as i don't jostle it.
I don't see any burning on the MB or problems with the PSU, but i am thinking it may be a faulty motherboard power cable? I ordered a new one just in case but wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem before or may have suggestions.
Here are my system specs:

4930k CPU
Rampage IV BE Motherboard.
Corsair 1200i PSU
32GB Corsair Ram
Gigabyte 780ti Windforce Video card
Samsung 840Evo SSD
3-4TB HGST Drives

Any help or info will be appreciated. :)
 
Loose connection somewhere for sure. I had one PSU that would shut down the computer if I banged the table the computer sat on. Found a bad solder joint, and that fixxed it.
 
Yup, that's what it was! Replaced the Motherboard PSU cable and that seems to have fixed the problem. :)
 
This won't help at all if some contacts are loose, but: Reseat the cable 10 times to clean off the contacts. Over the past 2 years, I've had lots of brand new Antec and Corsair PSUs (made by different companies) not work with motherboards until I reseated connectors at least 3 times, even just after running for 30 minutes with their green Power-On lines grounded and measuring OK with 1 amp loads.

I also worry that the connector doesn't fully seat because a lot of force is often needed, and the motherboard flexes a bit. So I pinch between the connector and bottom of the motherboard.
 
Back
Top