Looking up DNS mor than usual?

VGplay

Gawd
First, whenever I go to a site, it has to "Looking up hardforum.com" before it starts loading. This is my computer looking up the site's DNS, right? I suppose "whenever" is the wrong word to use. Say I go to a site, I can continue visiting it until halfway though a sitting, where it will then have to be looked up again. I hope that makes sense. Its been doing this for a couple weeks now.

What would cause this? In the same timeframe I've added a switch to my room, but would that cause this problem all over the network? We have a router and switch in the basement and ethernet distributed to every room. There's also the switch in my room. I noticed this same problem on my brother's computer, so I can only assume its happening for everyone.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)

What are you using for DNS? Are you using your own server, or the router/firewall (which is then using the one from your ISP. I suggest OpenDNS. It's a great free service that is fast and never goes down.

Can you use OpenDNS with a dynamic IP? The only way my router (Linksys BEFSR41) lets you set your own DNS is if you set it to Static IP. Maybe I'll try updating its firmware and see if that makes a difference.

Ah, there we go. A router update did the trick. And OpenDNS fixed my problem. Gave a nice speed boost, as well.

Thanks!

OpenDNS is really cool. Just started using it and it does seem faster for that initial lookup.

Cool too since my ISP has really good DNS servers that are never down and quick and yet OpenDNS is even faster :)

Back