• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking to watercool my pc

dakota

n00b
Joined
Dec 10, 2009
Messages
6
Hi there

I am looking at doing some water cooling for my PC.

Important hardware specs:
Phenom II X4 940BE
DFI Lanparty DK M2RSH
ATI Radeon 5850 (Well, almost - already ordered and paid for - just waiting for stock)
Coolermaster HAF922 case

At the moment I have a Cool-it Domino ALC, whilst it is better then the stock cooler, my CPU still hits 60C under load (With a mild over clock to 3.4Ghz) - it idles at around 30C to 35C. Also, my current gfx hits 95C under load (HD3850).

I've got three main goals:
Silence
Coolness (in the temperature department)
and Coolness (In the looks department)

What I am looking at getting is the Swiftech H20-220-APEX ULTIMA and the Danger Den DD-5870. I might also get an extra 1x120mm Swiftech radiator.

I don't want external radiators, and I don't want to do any mods to my case.

I would like to find out from the experts if that is fine for my system?

Just some extra information: I am situated in South Africa, so most online retailers are out (performance-pcs ship to SA for a reasonable price) and our summer temperatures are rather warm (Average of 30C maximum daily temp).
 
It will work, since you don't want to do any case modding. Don't necessarily need the rad box since everything is internal. ;)

Doesn't look like it comes with any coolant so keep that in mind. You can use distilled water and an anti-fungal.
 
The kit does come with Swiftech HydraX.

Distilled water is easy to get hold of.

Would it be worth getting the extra 1x120mm rad?

I'm thinking something along the lines of:
pump -> 2x120 rad -> cpu -> 1x120 rad -> gpu -> res
 
Yea I would get the extra rad. The loop looks good. Just remember to have the res before the pump and your set :D
 
If you are interested I have a Black Ice 120x1 gen 2 extreme new in the box, never used...would sell for shipping plus 1/2 cost...or it can go in my huge spare parts box, no pressure.
 
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately shipping to South Africa is ridiculously expensive and it make more financial sense to buy everything from a single source and ship it as a single package.
 
I understand...the kit you have picked out looks good..nice pump...maybe better off with a 3x120 radiator though...but as you say you can add another single...that gives you more placing options too...no need to separate the radiators though..just install them anywhere you can to minimize unnecessary turns and loops that restrict flow. Remember a good loop will reach an equilibrium temp. soon after startup...the component order is not as important as it might seem intuitively.
 
I'm basing my radiator on what I can fit in my case without modding. The Coolermaster HAF922 has a 2x120mm mount on the top, and a 1x120mm mount on the back.
 
I've been looking at the various 5850 blocks and I've got to say, the Danger Dan ones look down right ugly compared to the others.

Which of these would be considered the 'best':
* Bitspower
* EK
* Swiftech


They are all about the same price, and they look very nice.
 
Back
Top