• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

looking to upgrade server

bobstone

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Messages
361
hey all, looking to upgrade my esxi box to server class hardware.

anyways, how would these compare
Intel Xeon E3-1240
Kingston 16GB ECC Registered DDR3 I am stupid, wrong ram 2 of these instead
SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCI-LN4-O

to my current rig.
Q9450
16 gb ddr3 ram non ecc
gigabyte MB
intel nic

if it is only a little better what would you all recommend that is not to much more expensive then the above setup to replace it?


also... another idea I had is to run 2 less powerfull boxes to I can test out migration and and stuff like that. but even in this case I want them to be server class, but anyways if ya got some ideas lemme know

Thanks
 
Last edited:
In term of switch to server class...You really need it that bad ? You current rig is not bad at all and i think that you won't so much difference in term of speed. Yes it's faster...but it is worth the money you spend ? most time RAM is the main problem You choose 8GB instead of 16GB on sandy bridge so you would run less VMs anyway.CPU horse power will be noticed during some cpu intense applications only. The only argument can be power consumption.
 
Back
Top