• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking to Upgrade, Need Suggestions

Tumdace

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
85
So ive been doing some research but I'd really like to hear some feedback as well if anyone wants to take the time.

Current system:

Intel e8600 @ 3.33GHz
4x2 GB DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 OCZ Reaper
Intel X25-M 160GB SSD Gen2
Asus P5N-T Deluxe
Sapphire HD5870
Corsair HX620W PSU

So thats my current system. I can rock games pretty hard, but I also work at a computer store and could probably sell alot of my old parts to reduce the cost of new parts, and I want to upgrade to SB.

So far ive come up with:

Core i5 2500K (plan to overclock it down the road, not right away however)
Asus P8P67 Pro
Corsair HX850W

So that leaves the ram. I really dont mind spending $150-200 for the ram, as I want some pretty fast ram. I decided to upgrade my power supply since ive had it for a while and I just wanted a bit of extra juice.

As far as ram goes, I really like having 8GB of ram as sort of a cushion just incase, but I do realize it may be highly unneccessary.

So my question is: What kind of ram should I get (im looking at 1600mhz, possibly 2000 if thats even possible with a 2500k) and should I get 2x2 or 2x4?

I should mention: this is a gaming rig. Thats what 80% of my time is spent doing on this PC. The other 20% is split between surfing the web, watching TV shows/movies, listening to music, and a little bit of video editing. Im using a Xonar Essence STX PCIe soundcard (incase anyone cares).

Been looking at Corsair Dominator 2x2 DDR3-1600 7-8-7-20 for $153 or 2x2 DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 for $106.
 
Last edited:
Get the 2x4GB DDR3 1600 kit now, while the RAM is still relatively cheap. Go for a kit that runs at 1.5V, which is more important (especially while overclocking) than tight timings. G.Skill, Corsair, Patriot, and Mushkin make 1.5V RAM, though it seems like NewEgg only consistently stocks 1.5V RAM from G.Skill.

Stupid question, but are you considering upgrading your video card as well?
 
No, I literally just upgraded it from a 2x GTX 260 setup. Never going dual cards again. Got this brand new 5870 from a buddy for $180

Theres a Corsair 2x4 Vengeance kit for 127, 1.5V but its 9-9-9-24

The 8-8-8-24 kit is 156.

oooh but the Gskill Ripjaws are 1.5v, 9-9-9-24 for 103 bucks.

Hows Gskill vs Corsair anyways? Never knew Gskill to be a big ram player (then again, ive only ever used Kingston or OCZ.
 
Last edited:
Do you think I need to bother upgrading my PSU from a 620W to an 850W for 190 bucks?

Trying to cut down my prices as much as possible, if a 620W can power a Sandy bridge build then I'd rather not have to upgrade.

I would presume a SB build uses less power than my current core 2 duo build?
 
850W for a single 5870...? No.

I run 2x6950, i7-940 @ 3.5, 6x2gb ram on a 850W. That system won't even come anywhere remotely close to what mine draws
 
Ya I think ill probably either stick with my 620W or buy my buddies 850W off him (he got a 1000w and a 850W, I always get hand me downs from him).
 
Which (brand/model) 850 watt power supply is your friend willing to give you?
 
So I went ahead and ordered:

Intel i5 2500K
Asus P8P67 Pro
Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 CL9

Im excited. Express shipping, should be here tomorrow or Wednesday.

Came to 590 after taxes and shipping and even came with a free copy of Civ 5 for Steam.

Couldnt be happier. Hoping to sell my old parts to offset some of the cost, but this should keep me going for another year or 2 (I have a bad habit of upgrading alot).
 
So I got my set up going, but I am having one problem:

Cant set my ram to the specificed 1600mhz.

All the timings are right, I even bumped the voltage up a bit to 1.5125v.

It loads windows fine, games fine, runs stress test for an hour or so.

But if I shut the PC down and leave it for a minute, when I go to start it again, the Memory LCD stays on, the PC restarts a few times, then it comes up saying that the overclock failed.

Do I need to adjust the PCH voltage as well? Do I need to adjust the cpu voltage?

I had also tried an auto OC, and it set the CPU to 4ghz, ram to 1638 or so, and once again, posted windows and stress tested fine for an hour, played a bit of a game etc.

But its always when I shut it down.

I mean it will restart just fine. But its if I try to boot it from a cold start that is the problem.
 
Back
Top